Sign in with
Your question

9600GT not happy with GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2008 1:31:34 PM

Was unsure where to post this as I believe it could potentially be a MB bios issue. But anyway here is the deal...

here is my equipment:

- PC Power & Cooling S610EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
- 2 sets of Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
- GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Rev 2
- EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

The trouble I am having is that when I try to play a game the video goes out on me. If I stay away from games she works fine. 3dmarks works fine, but specifically WOW does not, As soon as I kick up WOW just prior to login screen the monitor goes dark.

Things I have done:
- Reloaded Vista Ultimate twice with no luck
- Loaded XP Pro twice
- tested Video in another PC works fine
- Tested PS in another machine with same video, different MB, memory and CPU but it all worked fine.
- Tested a NVidia 7800GT in my machine and it worked fine. I then placed the original 9600GT back in my machine and loaded drivers under XP pro and WOW loaded up fine. I then rebuilt PC back to Ultimate and I am back with my black screen issue.
- I have loaded the stock video drivers on the 9600GT that came on the CD, I have loaded the latest from Nvidia and the latest on the EVga site with no success
- I have loaded the latest bios and firmware for my Motherboard from giga-byte with no luck.

Pretty much will take any ideas someone may have to resolve my situation. I firmly believe it is a driver issue with my motherboard's bios and the 9600GT driver based on the above tests. If anyone has this combination and or ideas on a solution could you please let me know.

Maybe it is some sort of setting in my bios that is not playing nice with my card I am not sure, but it has me pulling my hair out.

Thanks

May 19, 2008 1:41:22 PM

have not checked out the motherboard if its pcix 2 there is a problem wiff version 1 not having enough power to the pcix slot for the 9000 gcards
May 19, 2008 1:44:41 PM

I looked up the board and its not a pcix 2 I suggest you buying a pcix version 2 motherboard
here is an example what your looking for

Asus P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n Socket 775 Intel X48 + ICH9R Chipset Dual-Channel Dual-channel DDR3 2000/1600/1333Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Dual GigaLAN 8-Ch HD Audio 6x SATA 3.0Gb/s Support 1600Mhz FSB
Related resources
May 19, 2008 1:57:59 PM

gomerpile said:
I looked up the board and its not a pcix 2 I suggest you buying a pcix version 2 motherboard
here is an example what your looking for

Asus P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n Socket 775 Intel X48 + ICH9R Chipset Dual-Channel Dual-channel DDR3 2000/1600/1333Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Dual GigaLAN 8-Ch HD Audio 6x SATA 3.0Gb/s Support 1600Mhz FSB

my PCI-E 2.0 8800GTS 512 works just fine in my PCI-E 1.1 slot thank you very much.i think my card pushes a bit more badwidth than the 9600 too. And my point? its fine on the DS3L
May 19, 2008 2:05:18 PM

Is it locking up? when it goes black try hitting alt+f4, see if it comes back.
May 19, 2008 2:09:49 PM

No she locks tight. I have to do a cold boot to get it back. I have not specifically hit Alt-f4 but I will try that tonight after work.
May 19, 2008 2:11:18 PM

You know that for sure or just guessing because your 88 works, the faq, in the hardware section of nvidas and asrock and asus, peps had similuar problems and their solution is getting a pcix2 I'm not saying thats the problem but it could be.
May 19, 2008 2:30:02 PM

gomerpile said:
You know that for sure or just guessing because your 88 works, the faq, in the hardware section of nvidas and asrock and asus, peps had similuar problems and their solution is getting a pcix2 I'm not saying thats the problem but it could be.

PCI Xpress 1.1 vs 2.0 makes no difference, as 2.0 is compatible with 1.1 and vise versa. Its nothing but a bandwidth difference in the 2 specs. I think Tom's did a test and found that 8x PCI Xpress is fast enough for the time being with the current crop of video cards. The cards draw power mainly from the 12v power cable plugged into the card.
May 19, 2008 2:44:19 PM

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
- 2 sets of Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
- EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Parts look good. Nothing that would cause me say thats crap. Are you running 4 sticks of ram?

- Reloaded Vista Ultimate twice with no luck - probably not the issue
- Loaded XP Pro twice - probably not the issue
- tested Video in another PC works fine - good trouble shooting
- Tested PS in another machine with same video, different MB, memory and CPU but it all worked fine. - did you use your new memory and CPU in this test?
- Tested a NVidia 7800GT in my machine and it worked fine. I then placed the original 9600GT back in my machine and loaded drivers under XP pro and WOW loaded up fine. I then rebuilt PC back to Ultimate and I am back with my black screen issue. - so WoW loaded in Xp but Vista black screened?
- I have loaded the stock video drivers on the 9600GT that came on the CD, I have loaded the latest from Nvidia and the latest on the EVga site with no success - make sure you are using the correct drivers for the OS, may also be worth your while to try other driver versions direct from Nvidia
- I have loaded the latest bios and firmware for my Motherboard from giga-byte with no luck. - good trouble shooting

Am I right when you say that the PC will boot, but as soon you try to run a 3d app, it black screens. Make for certain you have the video card power cable plugged in. Check your driver versions and make sure its the correct one for the OS version.

One other thing: Friends dont let friend play WoW! :) 
May 19, 2008 2:57:59 PM

yes 4 gig total on memory.

I just tested power supply in the other machine not mem or CPU. By checking the 7800GT in my machine I figured my mem & cpu were ok. The thing that confused me some is after I tested the 7800GT and then replaced my 9600GT with latest drivers from Nvidia site Wow worked fine. Then a fresh copy of Ultimate and new drivers from NVidia it blacked screen on Wow.

Does not matter what OS I have my 9600GT black screens in games. However on my last test 3dmark benchmark worked fine.

Yeah I know I am using the correct drivers for the OS. I have tried many versions of them as well. EVga site seems to keep on top of drivers and usually one step above NVidia site as far as blessed drivers.

Yeah PC functions just fine without using 3d apps.

Thanks for all the responses, all good information. I am going to hit EVga and Gigabyte up tonight after work to see what they think of the troubles I am having.

THANKS!
May 19, 2008 3:14:20 PM

To clearify better....XP typically does not work either. It just worked after I replaced the 7800 GT with my 9600GT with latest drivers. Then I re-imaged the box as it stood with Ultimate and latest drivers for all and she is back to black screen in Ultimate.
May 19, 2008 3:39:24 PM

The problem could be the graphics card.Have you checked any other games other than WoW?You could also check internal temperature of the graphics card with nv monitor, whether it is overheating.
May 19, 2008 3:49:46 PM

Im leaning toward a graphics card issue. If you can run 3d apps with the 7800 in both XP and Vista, but the 9600 crashes the PC everytime and your drivers are good, the 9600 is fubar. RMA!!

Youve eliminated all the other possible issues. It is most likely the video card.
May 19, 2008 4:02:34 PM

Well I would agree with the if it wasn't the fact that the so called bad 9600GT works fine in another PC. Very strange issue for sure.

Yes, I have tried HL2 and that as well crashes just after the valve boot up screen.

I am going to reload fresh Vid drivers via Nvidia preferred method of loading them, load fresh DX flavors, pull card and kiss twice, pull two mem sticks, fart twice sitting down and pray for a good load.

This one has me baffled.

May 19, 2008 4:20:16 PM

gomerpile said:

I know for sure, That PCI-E 2.0 cards work with the GA-P35-DS3L, No guessing. Sure some people have had issues with PCI-E 2.0 cards in some motherboards, and i've even heard some cards arent compatible with PCI-E 1.0a slots. But the PCISIG site states its backwards compatible and vice versa
http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/faqs/pcie2.0_faq/

a little digging on that site, finds they claim 3.0 will be compatible with 1 and 2.....
May 19, 2008 4:32:36 PM

if you check some of the forums others have had this same problem, there doesn't seem to be any apparent fix except for RMA. I have an evga 9600gt on a pciex 1.1 board too and it works great, just luck of the draw. i'm pretty sure evga knows of the problem and they'll be glad to help. good luck, this cards rocks :) 
May 19, 2008 4:38:26 PM

I am pretty sure its graphics card then.I had a similar problem 3/4 years back with an asus nvidia 5200 fx. What I did is RMA.
And of course you should install fresh drivers.And I agree with Cliffro.PCI-e 2.0 cards should not be an issue on PCI-e 1.0 slots.And check the temperature of the graphics card.Nevertheless its a strange issue I agree.
May 19, 2008 4:42:40 PM

also check the ram sticks by the way.Use 2 instead of 4.But the issue on ram probably be minimal.
May 19, 2008 5:01:18 PM

hammadog said:
Was unsure where to post this as I believe it could potentially be a MB bios issue. But anyway here is the deal...

here is my equipment:

The trouble I am having is that when I try to play a game the video goes out on me. If I stay away from games she works fine. 3dmarks works fine, but specifically WOW does not, As soon as I kick up WOW just prior to login screen the monitor goes dark.

Things I have done:
- Reloaded Vista Ultimate twice with no luck
- Loaded XP Pro twice
- tested Video in another PC works fine
- Tested PS in another machine with same video, different MB, memory and CPU but it all worked fine.
- Tested a NVidia 7800GT in my machine and it worked fine. I then placed the original 9600GT back in my machine and loaded drivers under XP pro and WOW loaded up fine. I then rebuilt PC back to Ultimate and I am back with my black screen issue.
- I have loaded the stock video drivers on the 9600GT that came on the CD, I have loaded the latest from Nvidia and the latest on the EVga site with no success
- I have loaded the latest bios and firmware for my Motherboard from giga-byte with no luck.

Pretty much will take any ideas someone may have to resolve my situation. I firmly believe it is a driver issue with my motherboard's bios and the 9600GT driver based on the above tests. If anyone has this combination and or ideas on a solution could you please let me know.

Maybe it is some sort of setting in my bios that is not playing nice with my card I am not sure, but it has me pulling my hair out.

Thanks

im not sure. but my 8800GT had the same story as urs the moment i played grid demo. although all the other games run flawlessly.

n i didnt fix it, or bother about fixing it. ill bother about it all over if GRID the game do the same thing.
May 19, 2008 5:47:56 PM

darkunicorn said:
also check the ram sticks by the way.Use 2 instead of 4.But the issue on ram probably be minimal.

Yeah another buddy of mine asked me to try the same thing. they are identical sticks or suppose to be. But it sure can not hurt to try it.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 19, 2008 5:52:17 PM

Have you tried locking the PCI-E clock at 100mhz or are you leaving it on auto?
May 19, 2008 6:28:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried locking the PCI-E clock at 100mhz or are you leaving it on auto?

I actually tried this morning before I left for work with no success.
May 19, 2008 11:22:36 PM

rma...
May 20, 2008 12:41:23 AM

Anyone that is running the same motherboard, can you post the bios version you are using please?

Again the motherboard I have is a: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Rev 2

May 20, 2008 1:02:18 AM

I have submitted my issue with EVGA and also Gigabyte to see if they have any suggestions for me.

Thanks all for your assistance.
May 20, 2008 1:45:05 AM

Would you please tell us your forceware version? The latest BIOS for GA-P35-DS3L is F8f but the previous update after version F3 were mainly for matching new CPU and with the CUP ID updated.
May 20, 2008 1:51:55 AM

Crazy-PC said:
Would you please tell us your forceware version? The latest BIOS for GA-P35-DS3L is F8f but the previous update after version F3 were mainly for matching new CPU and with the CUP ID updated.

Driver does not seem to make a difference as I have tried many. BUT..... Latest that I have tried is: Version: 175.16

I updated bios to F7 with no luck as well. Plan to remove 1 set of memory chips to see if that may help the trouble. At this point I am thinking memory, butwho the heck knows. Very strange. I also plan to load up BIOSHOCK demo for DX10 and maybe Tiberians Wars just to try a few more games. Gotta be firmware or drivers if it is not my memory...

May 20, 2008 7:32:39 AM

the more i read on this thread it is looking like a bad card, if nothing else works just RMA it.
May 20, 2008 8:47:30 AM

thought of something try to downclock the gcard.
Rivatuner 2.08 core downclocked to 700 and memory downclocked to 800 mhz
giveher a try and post back others have solved this issue by this on their evga cards 3 out of 4 faq I read the problem was solved by underclocking
May 20, 2008 1:14:32 PM

Well I underclocked and still no worky. I also yanked one mem chip per channel with no luck. I also tried Half life 2 and had thesame black screen results. Reponse from EVGA was pretty much no help what so ever asking if I tried other games and stating it may be some setting that is causing the issue. Going to wait for gigabyte to open its doors and call them today I guess. Must be some sort of Bios setting maybe. One thing I noticed today when trying Wow and HL2 is that once the game begins to load the Vid fan kicks into a higher speed and thats when my monitor goes black. I wish I would have tried my brothers 9600GT in my box. I just figured mine worked in his so all is good.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 20, 2008 2:13:11 PM

You haven't mentioned it but I'm assuming that you have tried swapping DVI outputs?
May 20, 2008 4:56:25 PM

Just got off the horn with EVGA and I guess the card is flagged as having this issue. Maybe the fact that I did not exercise the card on the test system I put it in, that eventually it would have failed as well. So they are RMA'in the video card for me. I gotta tell ya on another note. EVGA was very responsive and trying to be helpful in correcting the issue. I was somewhat surprised at the hold time and the helpfulness of a support company. I will certainly purchase another card from EVGA just for this fact.
May 20, 2008 5:12:28 PM

Yup, EVGA is a solid company. Thats one of the reasons its on my short list of companies for building a PC. Its worth the extra dough sometimes to have decent customer support. Best of luck with getting set back up!
May 20, 2008 9:30:16 PM

You must have gotten the first gen card it did have problems and rma's was given I'm glad you gotten good help see ya on the battlefield
May 21, 2008 5:35:30 AM

You tested some many items and re-installed your Windows and drivers several times, I would suggest it would be the right time to put the 9600GT for RMA.
May 27, 2008 12:21:34 AM

told ya
June 2, 2008 12:31:01 PM

Also have a P35-DS3L but I am having the same problem with a Gigabyte ATI 3850 card. If I run the CPU or GPU alone in stress/benchmarks test, it works fine. But running stress tests on the GPU and CPU at the same kicks out the display. No temps over 60 deg C, no over-clocking. It also happend with a 3870 card that we tested.

I have also seen that when you do a fresh install of the video driver it works without a problem until you reboot. After a reboot, the problem is back.

Running F8a Bios with all the latest drivers from ATI and Gigabyte. My PSU is 460W.

Is there a bug in the P35 board that is only surfacing with the new generation video cards?
June 3, 2008 5:11:16 PM

im on an Asus P5K-SE/9600gt setup. no problems here. must be the vista drivers. im on xp btw.
June 3, 2008 9:06:53 PM

My screen went funny playing games with nVidia Forceware drivers greater than version 100.xxx. I have Asrock MB and 6800LE. The advice on the MB website said use drivers less than version 100.xxx eg 97.46. These worked OK but obviously are not the latest drivers.
June 6, 2008 2:21:01 AM

I've been combing the web looking for help with a similar setup. Running the P35-DS3L Rev2 with Gigabyte's 9600GT on Vista 64 Ultimate for a few months. 8 GB RAM, OC to 3.0 GHz and really stable... except for games. :fou: 

I use this system for 3D production work with no problems. Dual displays at 1680x1050, but it won't run Crysis or Age of Conan more than 10 FPS at even the low settings.

No crashes or lockups as described, so please don't let me hijack your thread. Just wondering if this non-SLI board is up to the task.

Also... what is the general consensus on Microsoft's silly Performance Indexing system? My Graphics subscore (Aero) is 3.6 no matter which settings I adjust.

Good luck to the OP on getting this resolved. Let me know if there are any settings or versions you wish to compare.
!