Belkin router with new computer

claytonian

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
hi i recently built a new computer with some crap parts myself and some friends had lying around, mostly for testing out new linux distros. i want to set up port forwarding for torrents,( thats how i get my distros, completely legal!) and i dont want it to mess up my bandwith. Whenever i type in 192.168.2.1 the default gateway, the connection takes too long to start and it times out. so i ran cmd and this is what i found....Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : neo.rr.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.188.205.40
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 76.188.192.1

so i tried that default gateway, and it says it cant even find where to make the connection and takes me to the search engine. I cant figure it out :pt1cable: and i really want to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

----Thanks Claytonian

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
thats your external ip address.. you have the computer plugged into a router or into the cable modem? from that info, I would guess the cable modem.

or..

somehow, that computer is not getting an ip address from the router, but instead the router is passing it thru to the cable modem, where its getting its address.

claytonian

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
i have the computer plugged into the router, any ideas on what i can do?
Also i tried to ping 76.188.192.1 in command prompt, and i get resquest timed out. I dont know what to do and i need to stop eating up my bandwith, any help please