Sign in with
Your question

LGA 775 HSF Install ... Bent Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 2, 2008 7:11:13 PM

Just built a new machine, LGA 775 motherboard. And I have to say that the amount of pressure required to install the HSF is scary. And the mounting pins being all plastic is ridiculous. Bring back the days of metal clips and screws, please. The plastic pins may be more fool-proof (i.e. someone can't tighten their HSF too hard) ... but it makes it WAY more chincy.

So installing the HSF, one of the plastic pins would not stay locked. I get it to the lock position, gradually let off pressure from my fingers, and it would hold for a second then pop out. I take the pin mechanism apart and see that there's a cheap plastic edge to lock the pin ... that's it. So I try cleaning it up a little to make the edge lock a little better, and finally get the HSF to stay. BUT, the result of messing with the HSF multiple times left me with a bent motherboard (around the socket area). It looks bad in my opinion, I drew the attached diagram to show it. It's probably bent 1/2" off of straight.

I booted up and installed XP without any errors. Anything I should worry about?

a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2008 7:15:03 PM

How are your temps?
If everything is working fine and your temps are decent I would not pay it any attention.

And yeah, stock Intel coolers suck big time.
July 2, 2008 7:50:45 PM

I think the temps are fine, I'll check again tonight. I wasn't really thinking heat issues with the HSF contacting the CPU ... but rather if I fatigued any of the mobo traces. I mean, we're talking 6 to 8 layer PCBs for most motherboards these days, right? Or more? Bends can't be good for that dense of a PCB.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2008 8:28:29 PM

Loosen all the MB screws and let the board relax. Then tighten back up.
Possibably the screws are holding it in the bent position.
Or even a bent stand-off.
Make sure there is a gap between the board and the case/tray in all areas.

If still bent, not touching and everything works OK dont worry about it.

July 2, 2008 8:44:25 PM

I have seen this more often than not. I think a small (1/4") bend to the mobo after installing a pushpin style 775 HSF is normal. Thermalright makes a 775 bolt thru kit that works with most push pin coolers that is amazing, it eliminates worries of secure mounting, supports the board and costs less than $10.
July 2, 2008 11:13:48 PM

knotknut said:
Loosen all the MB screws and let the board relax. Then tighten back up.
Possibably the screws are holding it in the bent position.
Or even a bent stand-off.
Make sure there is a gap between the board and the case/tray in all areas.

If still bent, not touching and everything works OK dont worry about it.

I did this with the motherboard sitting on the table in front of me. Once I saw the HSF installation method, there was no way I was going to attempt that with the motherboard inside of the case. So even sitting on a completely flat surface, I still bent the motherboard trying to install the HSF. It's definitely bent.

Quote:
I have seen this more often than not. I think a small (1/4" ) bend to the mobo after installing a pushpin style 775 HSF is normal. Thermalright makes a 775 bolt thru kit that works with most push pin coolers that is amazing, it eliminates worries of secure mounting, supports the board and costs less than $10.

Thermalright's bolt kit looks really nice. I definitely could have used that.
July 2, 2008 11:59:15 PM

I believe that motherboards are design to allow for this bend/warping.

However after installing my stock cooler and seeing the warping I immediately removed it and purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212. This uses the backing plate/screw method for securing it to the motherboard, much much better design with no warping.

I don't care if the board is designed for it or not, how could this not be stretching the pcb's tracks and putting unnecessary stress on the solder joints, which in time could lead to a failure..

I agree that at the very least the Thermalright kit is an excellent idea, this would save the added expense of another cooler

!