Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Multisession
  • DVD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 26, 2009 2:35:59 PM

Hi:

I have burnt some DVDs in multisession mode. I am able to access them on my PC but on another PC of mine, the DVD writer does not even recognize the DVD. I used Nero 8 for burning.

Both of my DVD writers are of Sony.

More about : multisession dvd issues

a c 415 G Storage
July 26, 2009 6:12:19 PM

Did you finalize the DVD? Most readers won't recognize the DVD unless it has been marked as "finalized" (or, "no more files may be written to this disk").
m
l
a b G Storage
July 26, 2009 6:55:07 PM

But then, it ceases to be a multisession disk. :) 

That's the main reason I do not do multisession disks. The results are ... unpredictable. It's a little wasteful, but DVD-R blanks are cheap.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2009 7:20:04 PM

I only use DVD+R, I read in a PC magazine (Chip) that they are better for multisession writes.
m
l
July 27, 2009 5:19:53 AM

sminlal said:
Did you finalize the DVD? Most readers won't recognize the DVD unless it has been marked as "finalized" (or, "no more files may be written to this disk").

I did not finalize it. But I am able to read the DVD on another DVD writer. It beats me as to what is the possible reason
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 27, 2009 4:43:53 PM

You can often read unfinalized DVDs using burning software, but the OS won't recognize the file system on it (so it won't show up in Explorer, for example).
m
l
July 27, 2009 5:13:35 PM

sminlal said:
You can often read unfinalized DVDs using burning software, but the OS won't recognize the file system on it (so it won't show up in Explorer, for example).

But the problem is this that the OS should at least recognize the disc. Reading the data on it is next thing
m
l
August 3, 2009 2:35:21 PM

But even Nero is not recognizing the disc
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
August 3, 2009 4:43:16 PM

Are you using the same software (ie, Nero 8) on the PC that burned the disk as you're trying to use on the PC that won't read the disk?
m
l
August 4, 2009 3:04:58 PM

sminlal said:
Are you using the same software (ie, Nero 8) on the PC that burned the disk as you're trying to use on the PC that won't read the disk?

I have Nero 8 installed on both the systems
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
August 4, 2009 6:04:28 PM

Well, I'm stumped...
m
l
August 30, 2009 2:30:04 PM

sminlal said:
Well, I'm stumped...

Well I have figured out for sure that my DVD writer does not recognize UDF file system DVDs. Is there any way for me to convert the DVDs into a format recognizable by my DVD writer
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 1, 2009 6:03:06 PM

I had this same problem, using Roxio to burn the multi session DVD in a LG GSA-H10A drive it could not be read on another PC. I then tried an external DVD drive on the same PC that did not work either, I then fitted a new Sony drive in the external box and that worked fine. Conclusion is that for some reason multi session only works with R/W drives as both the drives that failed were read only. Both PCs using XP pro.
m
l
November 13, 2009 6:04:16 PM

No, I don't think that last comment that multi-session DVDs can only be read by writers and not ROMs is accurate. My parents' DVD/CD-RW combo drive (which came with their Dell Dimension E520 desktop does NOT read my DVD multi-session disc which has not been finalized yet. It only sees the first session in Windows Explorer.

But I am glad I saw this thread because it was really helpful for my problem. Thanks everyone!

John
m
l
!