Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hello all.
Recently I began looking for parts in my quest to get a new PC, my current one being so old that upgrading is out of the question. Unfortunately, after several days, I'm now stuck on the issue of what motherboard to choose.
The main reason for my new PC is I want to play modern games, as well as have a faster computer for using Photoshop, Bryce (should I ever *shudder* have to use it again), Maya, and other things. To that end, I decided to get a GeForce 8800 GTS card. The most likely candidate right now being this XFX model (http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=60247383/).

I also had the thought that, should I have enough money (somehow) left over, I might get another video card and run SLI with that (unless of course SLI only works with two of the same card, which may leave things out of the question).

Following that, I learned that the CPU does not make a terribly great difference, at least in terms of gaming, so long as it's over 2.5 GHz. Memory also didn't seem to be a problem, as I could get a large quantity for a relatively low price. So I figured I should pick a motherboard first, then go into everything else.

Problems started then. I know pretty much nothing about computer hardware, so I began reading the articles in Tom's Hardware...and got confused fast. Slogging my way through, I finally came here for some clarification...

Essentially, a series of questions have now gone crazy in my mind. The questions being:
1. Is it better to get more recent (say, 790i) based motherboard over the somewhat older ones? Especially since I want to be able to upgrade to DDR3, should I not get any DDR3 memory at this time. Also, looking at some user reviews, it seems that the newer ones are a bit unstable.

2. I read that none of the newer nVidia chipsets support DDR2 memory. Is that true, or did I read wrongly?

3. Would it be better to go with an Intel based motherboard should I not have enough money/choose not to get another video card for SLI?

4. If I get a motherboard that has slots for both DDR2 and DDR3 memory, is it a bad idea to get both kinds/impossible?

I'm not entirely sure I've asked every question I want to, but those are some of the things nagging at my choice. I suppose the greatest issue for myself is that I don't want to get an older, but stabler motherboard (like a 760) if it means I won't be able to upgrade to better things like DDR3 memory.

Any advice/answers would be a great help...hours looking at articles is starting to march my brain backwards, I think...

You don't need ddr3 for current cpus; nehalem will be more optimized for it, and prices may come down as it becomes the standard. If you want to overclock, go with a p35 or p45 board; if you want to use 2 video cards, then the 750 chipset will work fine. I don't think a 2 card setup is worth the extra $$$ for cooling, power supply, and an extra video card. I would search the game forums and list your favorite games before deciding. The real issue is which video card works best with your favorite games.

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Well, the 8800 GTS seems to do well with all the games I want to play. The SLI option is something I might try later, or if I have enough money, right now. The real issue for me is that I don't want to buy a motherboard that I cannot easily upgrade to better things as they come along, like DDR3 memory. Considering that, as someone elsewhere said, "DDR2 is at the end of its life," I don't want to find myself having to spend money on newly cheap/reliable DDR3, but also buying a whole new motherboard to do so. I will, however, try your suggestion, see what the gaming folk have to say...

Ddr2 will be available for awhile. By the time you upgrade again, you'll probably want a newer cpu. Why pay almost double for a board that uses either ddr2 or ddr3 (such as the x48) when by the time you want ddr3, you'll need a different board anyway. Trying to future proof is a waste of money. If you want 4 gigs of ddr2, get it now and choose a brand with a lifetime warranty. I've used memory warranty twice, and it came in handy.

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
So basically, I should get something like that 750 chipset, which will only support DDR2 and a good CPU, and that will last me long enough (say a year or two) before I really should/have to upgrade to something better, in which case I'll only need new memory, motherboard, and a CPU?
By which time everything will have stabilized more in terms of price and reliability, I'm sure.

TechUser

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I think that he meant 750i chipset...

750i is for SLI and DDR2.
780i is for Tri-SLI and DDR2.
790i is only for DDR3 and it's not recommended because like they said, it does not worth the money to get DDR3 before Intel Nehalem appears...

Intel Nehalem architecture is designed for DDR3 and when it appears, DDR3 will become mainstream so it does not make any sense to quickly get a DDR3 motherboard based on X48/P45/790i and then change your motherboard again to Intel Nehalem which is a waste of money like o1die said.

Based on some reviews i read, Intel and AMD chipsets tend to be more stable than nVidia chipsets. nVidia is a good VGA producer but not the best chipset producer.

Now, you can go with either X48 or P45 or 750i motherboard and if you want to Tri-SLI then go with 780i....

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Normally, I would go with the Intel chipset, but the nVidia thing is the problem. I want to be able to do SLI; if I don't have the funds when I get my new PC, then at least some time this year, after I get some more cash. As far as I can tell, there are no Intel chipsets that allow for SLI, and to my knowledge neither the X48 or P45 support SLI.

TechUser

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I don't see why you wanted to go SLI since SLI could be very expensive than Crossfire and nVidia is not doing very well at the momment with the price per performance. Also, Radeon HD 4870 X2 will soon beat the GTX 280 by both the performance and price as many had predicted on other websites foretelling that nVidia is not doing very well and like dirtmountain said, the HD 4850, HD 4870 will be the best bang for the buck right now. I think it's better if you go with Crossfire for now.

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hmm...I keep searching around, but now I'm kind of unclear on some things:
First, am I correct or did I get it wrong that x38s and x48s are more suited for Crossfire, as opposed to the P35 and P45?
I did find this x48 that supports DDR2...it is a bit expensive, but I am curious as to whether it might be worth more, or if I should simply go with an older one for the same reasons as not getting a DDR3 X48.

After looking around, anyway, it does seem that a good choice would be to go with 2 4850s. I'm also considering getting an Antec 900 case; I have an old Antec Sonata and that's preformed well, and the 900 looks to be pretty solid. If the motherboard goes well, hopefully everything else will go smoothly.

Unless of course it turns out that there's more to getting a good CPU than I thought...

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Oh, also: Can one usually find a list of compatible RAM for a motherboard at the manufacturer's website, or do I need to look elsewhere? I'm under the impression that certain brands of RAM made by certain manufacturer's work better with some motherboards than others...or is it simply the speed of the RAM that counts?

Also, I'm considering this as my new motherboard, since it uses the X48 chipset but retains DDR2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

Contesting it is this one, which is said to be the same as the Rampage but with a few less features:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

Very few brands and model numbers of ram are listed by most manufacturer's. I would go for value in pc6400. Most brands will work; crucial and corsair seem to be the safest. The cheapest ram is high latency, and only works on a few boards; avoid it.