Update Chipset -> Which?

ewingr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hi.

I am about to update teh Chipset on my freshly installed GA-EP35-DS3R.

Checking my chipset in Device manager, it is:

Intel G33/G31/p35/p31.

Looking on the Intel site for the chipsets, I find a separate download for each: G33, G31, P35 and P31.

Do I install all of them? If not which one? It looks like some of them have the same drivers. For example both P31 and P35 have INtel Matrix Storage.

Thanks

ewingr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008

I actually was considering that, but having read around several forums (I chose this one to post on), I see lots of complaints about Gigabytes site and drivers. In fact, I checked their drivers, and what is on their web site, if I compare to what installed off the CD, are older than what came on the CD. Well, in one case the date was newer, and the version number was smaller. Makes me suspiciousx of their web site, especially when I read so many comnplaints about their drivers.

I did post on another forum (not dedicated to Gigabyte...not having found this site yet) about that and they pointed me to the Intel site. So that's how I got there. That being said, Intel doesn't have the loading software there. I'll use the ones from Gigabyte.

The GA-EP35-DS3R uses, hmmm, let me think.... Oh, yes, P35.

Thanks for the helpful condescending remark.

Maybe you can't tell I'm new to this. And as I said, in Device Manager it does does describe ALL 4. So I think it's a fair question for a person new to this. As soon as I assume it is th eP35 because it is the larger number and that's all I need, I'd be wrong.

so, I guess the P35 is what I need.

Thanks for the quick answer.

rasco_matt

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
To be honest I wasn't sure if you were after chipset driver updates or a bios update, so i just suggested the gigabyte site.

Is there a reason for wanting to update, because unless you are having problems with the current drivers or the newer ones would offer better performance, then there really is no reason to update.

Unless asked, people are more willing to criticize rather than praise. This may explain the bad comments about gigabytes website and drivers. I have no problems with the gigabyte board that I'm currently running and I haven't seen the need to update the drivers from the ones supplied on the CD.

rhansme

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I have not had any problems with getting new Bios or drivers from the Gigabyte website. I have had Asus, MSI, Abit, and other boards and they all have their problems.

ewingr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008

Hi.

Yes, I need the 'chipset drivers'. I have done the bios.

Yes, I am having problems. On one of my two new systems, (1 is a slightly different MOBO), I am having strange problems. One MS update will not install.(This is the one that fixes so many incompatibilities with apps in Vista, some of which are keeping me from instlling Adobe Photoshop...so I need the update). I worked with MS in fact on the phone trying to install and was unsuccessful. Interesting symptoms: When we downloaded the patch to install outside of MS update, when we went to put in the drive, it would say the drive was no longer available. Select a different directory, and it would download. Then when we would install, it would say "Bad data in file" or something like that.

During the course of trying this, MS had me uninstall Trend Micro. Now when I try to reinstall it, it fails, with an error that I have a driver incompatibility.

As well, I have been having problems where all of a sudden I will have long delays and pauses. This is another symptom I have read about of needing to update the Bios.

So during discussions on that other forum, it was recommended that I : Update the bios; update the chipset drivers; update the Realtek ethernet and audio drivers.

So that is the path I am attempting.