Sign in with
Your question

Acer Aspire M5620 HELP

Last response: in Windows Vista
September 9, 2012 1:46:39 PM

I'm at my wit's end. I have an Acer M5620 Aspire which I've had for years. I know it's not good. What I need to do is to figure out how to keep it functioning long enough for me to afford my new computer, which will be in January.
Here's the issue: it crashes like mad. When I turn it on in the morning, it black screens after reaching the desktop and requires multiple reboots - the hard ones I hate to do.
Or it locks up, crashes, blue screens, freezes.. it's about 20 minutes every morning if I'm LUCKY before it gives up fighting and runs smoothly for the rest of the day.

Recently it's taken to having what very much look like graphics card freezes, since the monitors go dead and music or whatever keeps going. That can last for an hour of hard shut downs and reboots.

Here's what's been done to it:
This problem began 3 years ago or so. My husband and I reasoned that the crashes were graphics related, and bought a MSI GTS250, and the power supply that was available at the computer store in question: a RocketFish 700W.

I know these aren't great things. But they seemed to work.. for a while.

The machine runs on Vista Home Premium, which was pre-installed on it. It was the first computer I bought fully pre-assembled, as a note. (Never doing that again)

Yesterday I spent 11 hours doing a full destructive reinstall of Vista in the hopes of isolating whether the issue was software or hardware-specific. This morning we had the usual 10 minutes of frustration starting it, so clearly it wasn't software.

I run dual 1080HD monitors, still have the MSI GTS250 Geforce card, running the beta 304.79 driver as recommended by the only game I actually play at the moment, GW2.
I have a freshly reinstalled, fully updated Vista, with only AVG, VSL, OpenOffice, and Adobe Flash and Reader installed besides GW2.

My question is two-pronged.
1 - does anyone have any insight at all beyond the obvious 'get a better rig' to what might be the cause of this startup crash frenzy? I've read reviews of the RocketFish that sound fairly good, despite forums where people sneer at it for being a repackaged bestBuy thing evidently. I know MSI is reputable and solid. The only other thing in that case is my Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Audio card, which I can't see being the cause of these lockups etc.

2 - Any advice for how to keep this blasted thing functional until I can afford to buy the pieces of the rig I intend to build?

More about : acer aspire m5620

September 9, 2012 2:24:51 PM

Akmo said:
I'm at my wit's end. I have an Acer M5620 Aspire which I've had for years. I know it's not good. What I need to do is to figure out how to keep it functioning long enough for me to afford my new computer, which will be in January.
Here's the issue: it crashes like mad. When I turn it on in the morning, it black screens after reaching the desktop and requires multiple reboots - the hard ones I hate to do.
Or it locks up, crashes, blue screens, freezes.. it's about 20 minutes every morning if I'm LUCKY before it gives up fighting and runs smoothly for the rest of the day.

Recently it's taken to having what very much look like graphics card freezes, since the monitors go dead and music or whatever keeps going. That can last for an hour of hard shut downs and reboots.

Here's what's been done to it:
This problem began 3 years ago or so. My husband and I reasoned that the crashes were graphics related, and bought a MSI GTS250, and the power supply that was available at the computer store in question: a RocketFish 700W.

I know these aren't great things. But they seemed to work.. for a while.

The machine runs on Vista Home Premium, which was pre-installed on it. It was the first computer I bought fully pre-assembled, as a note. (Never doing that again)

Yesterday I spent 11 hours doing a full destructive reinstall of Vista in the hopes of isolating whether the issue was software or hardware-specific. This morning we had the usual 10 minutes of frustration starting it, so clearly it wasn't software.

I run dual 1080HD monitors, still have the MSI GTS250 Geforce card, running the beta 304.79 driver as recommended by the only game I actually play at the moment, GW2.
I have a freshly reinstalled, fully updated Vista, with only AVG, VSL, OpenOffice, and Adobe Flash and Reader installed besides GW2.

My question is two-pronged.
1 - does anyone have any insight at all beyond the obvious 'get a better rig' to what might be the cause of this startup crash frenzy? I've read reviews of the RocketFish that sound fairly good, despite forums where people sneer at it for being a repackaged bestBuy thing evidently. I know MSI is reputable and solid. The only other thing in that case is my Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Audio card, which I can't see being the cause of these lockups etc.

2 - Any advice for how to keep this blasted thing functional until I can afford to buy the pieces of the rig I intend to build?

Have you every run a memory test or hard drive diagnostics ?
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:40:01 PM

We've done a memory test without any issue found.. I don't think we've done the latter.. we've done CHKDSK - is that what you mean?
Neither found any errors, which was a bit frustrating.
The computer was recently defragged too - I keep my antivirus up to date and actively scan, and try to do all those housekeeping things one's supposed to do.

Right now we're strongly considering purchasing the video card I intend to put into the rig-to-be (Asus GeForce GTX660Ti card) but I'm just thoroughly befuddled. I don't know if that would help or solve the problem with the crashes!
I mean, having it anyway would be good for the building of the setup i intend, sure, but would replacing the graphics card a second time do the trick? Is the MSI GeForce GTS250 known for instability? I just don't know!
:( 

As I said initially, I'm at my wit's end. For the record, today I surfed and used online functions fairly securely for a few hours, launched Guild Wars 2 (which ran solidly enough last week to give me many hours already of fun), and within 5 minutes, the system froze entirely.

Is it a power issue? I mean, the 700W supply IS just a step up from a no name brand, I know. But the reviews I've read suggest that it's surprisingly good for what it is. And surely 700W is MORE than enough to power the GTS250!

In a word: argh.
m
l
!