Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q9400 Overclocking - not so bad

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 6, 2009 8:09:35 PM

[#ff4300]So I decided to pickup the Q9400 at microcenter for $180 which I thought was a good deal. Buying the CPU made me want to upgrade from my POS MSI P965 platiunm MB to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I am very glad I did, because I have been able to push the Q9400 to 3.6 on air so far. Temps run between 50-54 degrees C max on small fft's while running prime. I could probably go further, but I am pretty happy with what I have. I am only running 1.3 voltage and ran prime for 17hrs no problem. I know the Q9400 is not known as the greatest overclocker, but it has given me a very nice price/performance ratio. The only discrepency that I have is the the temp sensors. Two work fine and the other two won't register a temperature below 38 degrees C. I just wanted to share what I think is a decent setup for anyone else who is mulling upgrading their system.

More about : q9400 overclocking bad

February 8, 2009 6:16:16 AM

Hi i have a q9400 and ud3p too,
what ram and cooler are u using ?
i wish to overclock it to 3 ~ 3.2 what voltage would u suggest.
New to my system looking for more advice from you.
TIA
February 8, 2009 1:57:59 PM

l4dsg said:
Hi i have a q9400 and ud3p too,
what ram and cooler are u using ?
i wish to overclock it to 3 ~ 3.2 what voltage would u suggest.
New to my system looking for more advice from you.
TIA


I am using a Zalman 9500 cooler and 2x2gb 1066 corsair dominators. Overclocking to 3.0-3.2 should be fairly easy. The first thing I did was just leave the cpu voltage on auto and put the FSB where my clock speed showed as 3.2. I will say that I have my cpu voltage @ 1.3 (have to set a little higher in BIOS, because CPU-Z shows as 1.29) at my current clock speed of 3.6 so anything around or under 1.3 should be fine. I had to manually change the ram timings and strap ratio. About the only thing I disabled was the c1e power saving so it wouldn't change my multiplier when the processor wasn't working hard. This is the easiest board I have ever overclocked. It was almost comical how easy it was. Are you using stock cooling or do you have an aftermarket cooler? Even with a stock cooler, the clock speed you are aiming for should be easily attainable.
Related resources
February 8, 2009 2:37:03 PM

cappster said:
I am using a Zalman 9500 cooler and 2x2gb 1066 corsair dominators. Overclocking to 3.0-3.2 should be fairly easy. The first thing I did was just leave the cpu voltage on auto and put the FSB where my clock speed showed as 3.2. I will say that I have my cpu voltage @ 1.3 (have to set a little higher in BIOS, because CPU-Z shows as 1.29) at my current clock speed of 3.6 so anything around or under 1.3 should be fine. I had to manually change the ram timings and strap ratio. About the only thing I disabled was the c1e power saving so it wouldn't change my multiplier when the processor wasn't working hard. This is the easiest board I have ever overclocked. It was almost comical how easy it was. Are you using stock cooling or do you have an aftermarket cooler? Even with a stock cooler, the clock speed you are aiming for should be easily attainable.


Hi Thks for the reply,
i intend to get the Noctua NH-U12P before doing the overclocking.
or do u have a better silent cooler to recommend?
my ram are team elite 2 x 2gb 800.
This should be my 1st attempt to try overclocking ~.~
so will be trying 3.2 for a start till i know more about
extreme overclocking and a pair of better ram.
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2009 2:50:18 AM

I bought a Q9400 at microcenter, and my ud3r and S1283 are on the way. I'll be assembling it later this week. I'll see how far I can go with it, then probably drop back a few notches for everyday use. I'd like to be able to run it at 3.2 without pushing things too far.
February 10, 2009 6:44:37 AM

Hi Cappster,
i used a Xigamatek Red Scorpion instead =x (easier to install haha...)
Ermm my 1st time overclocking... seem easy..ud3p too easy?
Please take a look if anything is abnormal, as in the temperature etc .
The screen shot as below
Thanks in advance

February 10, 2009 11:26:42 AM

I will take a look when I get home as I cannot see the screen shot at work. Have you tested the stability of your rig? Also, have you run any benchies pre and post overclock to see the improvement of your overclock? That is what I always do. I went from around 11,500 stock to 14250 overclocked in 3dmark06.

Cadder: 3.2 on the Q9400 should be no sweat for everyday use. You can probably achieve that with a little bump in voltage no problem.
February 11, 2009 12:26:59 AM

l4dsg said:
Hi Cappster,
i used a Xigamatek Red Scorpion instead =x (easier to install haha...)
Ermm my 1st time overclocking... seem easy..ud3p too easy?
Please take a look if anything is abnormal, as in the temperature etc .
The screen shot as below
Thanks in advance

]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9950/60335618gt2.th.jpg


Everything looks good to me. Temps seem a little bit higher than mine and you have a better performing CPU cooler. How much thermal paste did you put on to your CPU? I would check this link for properly applying thermal paste and compare it to what you did.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5...

Your temps are still within acceptable limits so you are good. Everything else looks good though. I would run prime for a while to check stability I would also run some other benchies like 3dmarkXX to make sure your system doesn't hang or crash. And overclocking this board is pretty easy especially at the clock speed that you wanted.
February 11, 2009 2:18:45 AM

cappster said:
Everything looks good to me. Temps seem a little bit higher than mine and you have a better performing CPU cooler. How much thermal paste did you put on to your CPU? I would check this link for properly applying thermal paste and compare it to what you did.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5...

Your temps are still within acceptable limits so you are good. Everything else looks good though. I would run prime for a while to check stability I would also run some other benchies like 3dmarkXX to make sure your system doesn't hang or crash. And overclocking this board is pretty easy especially at the clock speed that you wanted.


Think i gotta get the arctic cleaner and thermal paste and another back plate. Feel the push pin kinda loose.... will post again here soon,
thanks for the guide^^
February 15, 2009 12:01:38 PM

tried arctic cooling mx2 idle temp raise by 2degree but load temp drop by 3degree, overall more stable temp now.~.~ some how only one of my core will stay idle at 30 ... the rest is 39~40
February 18, 2009 8:28:37 AM


3d mark score ^^ not bad
February 18, 2009 7:43:13 PM

That looks pretty good to me. I only get a little above 14000. happy gaming
February 20, 2009 6:21:29 AM

^^ thanks cappster, happy gaming too
February 25, 2009 8:44:19 AM

Hey Cappster. I just picked upthe Q9400 at Micro Center and took a look at the aftermarket coolers. My problem is that the really nice/high functional HSF sets may not fit onto my board/Case well. Will 3.2 do okay w/ Stock HSF? I dont game really but do a lot of media encoding/audio recording/producing.
The Case is a Lian Li PC-V600B and the PSU mounts sideways on bottom and looks like a tight fit between the stock heatsink and the top of PSU.
Maybe you have a suggestion/some answer to steer me in the right direction?
Thanks in Advance...
February 25, 2009 2:06:33 PM

catski1 said:
Hey Cappster. I just picked upthe Q9400 at Micro Center and took a look at the aftermarket coolers. My problem is that the really nice/high functional HSF sets may not fit onto my board/Case well. Will 3.2 do okay w/ Stock HSF? I dont game really but do a lot of media encoding/audio recording/producing.
The Case is a Lian Li PC-V600B and the PSU mounts sideways on bottom and looks like a tight fit between the stock heatsink and the top of PSU.
Maybe you have a suggestion/some answer to steer me in the right direction?
Thanks in Advance...


Just my 2 cent. Actually to overclock to 3.2, whether or not to get a better cooler depends on your temperature, if u get a hot chip like mine >.> which load temp @2.66 is 65degree with stock... i do need a better cooler when i need to oc to 3.2. If your chip is stable and cool i dun see a need to get a better hsf.

regards
February 26, 2009 1:17:27 PM

Hi, I'm planning on getting a Q9400 and maybe overclocking it in the future. Do you guys know which stepping I should buy? 'Cus AFAIK at least in the Q6600 there's a big difference in which stepping you buy. Thanks.
April 26, 2009 11:40:33 PM

i got my Q9400 @ micro center and overclock to 3.6ghz on 1.275v and it was OCCT and P95 stable. but i don't need 3.6ghz so back down to 3.0ghz.

this week, i'm gonna try pushing it to 4.0ghz on air just for fun.

i have xig s1283 as a cooler.
August 18, 2009 3:56:57 AM

hey there peanutpc,when you overclock the q9400,what did you set the DRAM timing and the frequency..

plz help me !!!
August 18, 2009 4:00:50 AM

cappster said:
[#ff4300]So I decided to pickup the Q9400 at microcenter for $180 which I thought was a good deal. Buying the CPU made me want to upgrade from my POS MSI P965 platiunm MB to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I am very glad I did, because I have been able to push the Q9400 to 3.6 on air so far. Temps run between 50-54 degrees C max on small fft's while running prime. I could probably go further, but I am pretty happy with what I have. I am only running 1.3 voltage and ran prime for 17hrs no problem. I know the Q9400 is not known as the greatest overclocker, but it has given me a very nice price/performance ratio. The only discrepency that I have is the the temp sensors. Two work fine and the other two won't register a temperature below 38 degrees C. I just wanted to share what I think is a decent setup for anyone else who is mulling upgrading their system.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd200/cappsterstang/Q940036OC.jpg



hey there ,when you overclock the q9400@3.6ghz,what did you set the DRAM timing and the frequency..

plz help me !!!
August 18, 2009 12:32:04 PM

vii288 said:
hey there ,when you overclock the q9400@3.6ghz,what did you set the DRAM timing and the frequency..

plz help me !!!


I set it to 2.00B. I have since backed it down, because while prime ran fine, system instability was evident in normal operations. I have since changed it to either 2.00A or 2.40 A, but I cannot remember what setting I chose. What kind of RAM do you have?
August 18, 2009 4:45:04 PM

cappster said:
I set it to 2.00B. I have since backed it down, because while prime ran fine, system instability was evident in normal operations. I have since changed it to either 2.00A or 2.40 A, but I cannot remember what setting I chose. What kind of RAM do you have?



OK,i am using the Corsair Dominator 1066 mhz 2x2gb
September 22, 2009 4:06:58 PM

I am running Q9400 at 3.2GHz on MB Asus P5Q3 and I have 4GB RAM DDR3 at 1600MHz and clocks 9-9-9-24.
Ran Prime test for whole night and stable ... and temp is in idle 32 Celsius and 100% stress on all cores 71 C.
All I did is changed FSB to 400 and FSB strap to 400 and RAM frequency to 1600 MHz in BIOS on my MB - all other settings are default ...
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2009 10:52:28 PM

I can't wait till prices get lower after I get a job then I will pick one up and swap out my old e6400 while resuing that vintage zalman cnps7000a-cu.
September 23, 2009 6:18:06 PM

71 degrees Celsius is a bit on the high side. I usually don't like my cpu to run over 60. I've been happy with my setup, but now the prices of Core processors are at a point where I would probably go with one of those if I were upgrading. That is unless you just want to do a processor swap in which case I can understand.
January 20, 2010 7:09:28 PM

Hello. I have GA EP45-UD3LR (which i find similar to yours) and again a q9400. I am with stock cooling and when I overclock it to 3.2Ghz I get around 40-48 degree temps and around 1.3 Voltage. Is this good enough? Or do you suggest I change something. My voltage is on auto settings.
January 24, 2010 4:18:30 PM

Hello. I also have a q9400 in an asus p5qc board. My overclocking has gone my cpu to 3,2. I personally think your voltage is high. My cpu is stable in 1.13Vcore. So i suggest you lower the Vcore a bit.

P.S sorry for bad english, its not my native language, but i am working on it
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2010 1:44:05 PM

wolf 313 said:
Hello. I also have a q9400 in an asus p5qc board. My overclocking has gone my cpu to 3,2. I personally think your voltage is high. My cpu is stable in 1.13Vcore. So i suggest you lower the Vcore a bit.

P.S sorry for bad english, its not my native language, but i am working on it


Nice volts for that clock.
February 1, 2010 3:00:57 PM

Gingerbread said:
Hello. I have GA EP45-UD3LR (which i find similar to yours) and again a q9400. I am with stock cooling and when I overclock it to 3.2Ghz I get around 40-48 degree temps and around 1.3 Voltage. Is this good enough? Or do you suggest I change something. My voltage is on auto settings.



I have the same board and Processor. I run my CPU at 3.0Ghz and MEM at 1200Mhz. VCore at 1.32. FSB 375Mhz Rated 1500Mhz My temps never go above 53C. Idle from 37C on Core 0 to 31C on Core 3. If you are not noticing any instabilities I would leave it alone.
February 2, 2010 6:01:49 PM

Joshwaa said:
I have the same board and Processor. I run my CPU at 3.0Ghz and MEM at 1200Mhz. VCore at 1.32. FSB 375Mhz Rated 1500Mhz My temps never go above 53C. Idle from 37C on Core 0 to 31C on Core 3. If you are not noticing any instabilities I would leave it alone.


:pfff:  Hell, not even close to a good overclocking chip. Which revision is your q 9400? However good temps. Are you using watercooling or air cooling?
Have you tried to lower the Vcore?
February 2, 2010 6:32:35 PM

wolf 313 said:
:pfff:  Hell, not even close to a good overclocking chip. Which revision is your q 9400? However good temps. Are you using watercooling or air cooling?
Have you tried to lower the Vcore?



Sorry bout that my V core is set at 1.250 and CPu-z says 1.248

Air Cooled. Zalman


I have had it at 3.2 at 1600FSB but didn't notice a performance increase worth the extra clocks.

Stepping At x8

Revision R0 Stepping A


BTW my board is a GA-EP45-UD3P little different sorry.
February 3, 2010 10:22:01 AM

Joshwaa said:
Sorry bout that my V core is set at 1.250 and CPu-z says 1.248

Air Cooled. Zalman


I have had it at 3.2 at 1600FSB but didn't notice a performance increase worth the extra clocks.

Stepping At x8

Revision R0 Stepping A


BTW my board is a GA-EP45-UD3P little different sorry.


Yes, you 're probably right about the board. Anyway, 1.25Vcore is good for 3,0Ghz
February 4, 2010 12:59:03 PM

I know it may be out of the topic, but q9400 need a 4pin molex or a 8pin molex to take power? Is there any chance of frying it if a 8 pin molex is connected?
February 8, 2010 2:22:25 PM

wolf 313 said:
I know it may be out of the topic, but q9400 need a 4pin molex or a 8pin molex to take power? Is there any chance of frying it if a 8 pin molex is connected?



My Board is an 8-pin or EPS 12v... if its ATX 12v its 4 pin. That depends on the motherboard...
March 14, 2010 2:59:25 PM

hey guys

CPU: Q9400
COOLER: Cooler Master V8
RAM: 2x2 G.Skill (DDR2-1066)
MB: Asus P5Q-SE2

i'm new to this stuff so i'll be more than happy to overclock it to 3.2 or just overclock it :) 
thanx !!!
March 15, 2010 5:38:32 PM

xxdragoon said:
hey guys

CPU: Q9400
COOLER: Cooler Master V8
RAM: 2x2 G.Skill (DDR2-1066)
MB: Asus P5Q-SE2

i'm new to this stuff so i'll be more than happy to overclock it to 3.2 or just overclock it :) 
thanx !!!



Have fun let me know if you need help.
March 15, 2010 5:41:01 PM

well yea i need some help with Voltages and stuff

appreciate it :) 
March 15, 2010 5:44:37 PM

Ok. Set ur FSB to 375 and I think your mem latch should be like 2.00B (not sure)
1.250 VCore should be more than enough. MCB 1.200V
March 17, 2010 2:35:33 PM

I have an E6300 overclocked to 3.675 GHz on the same GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P mother board. Seems stable and cool under Prime95. I can't figure out how to manage the Core Voltage in the bios. I've tried taking Vcore off of [Auto] and setting it to 1.300V but CPU-Z shows the voltage at 1.36V at idle and 1.34V under Prime95 torture test. How do you get the Vcore voltage down on this board? I posted more detail under a seperate Overclocking question: Can't figure out how to manage Vcore?? but nobody has answered yet. Anybody out their that can help? I've heard this CPU can OC to 4.0 GHz pretty regularly. Much appreciated if you can help. Thx.
March 18, 2010 2:11:10 PM

rbates said:
I have an E6300 overclocked to 3.675 GHz on the same GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P mother board. Seems stable and cool under Prime95. I can't figure out how to manage the Core Voltage in the bios. I've tried taking Vcore off of [Auto] and setting it to 1.300V but CPU-Z shows the voltage at 1.36V at idle and 1.34V under Prime95 torture test. How do you get the Vcore voltage down on this board? I posted more detail under a seperate Overclocking question: Can't figure out how to manage Vcore?? but nobody has answered yet. Anybody out their that can help? I've heard this CPU can OC to 4.0 GHz pretty regularly. Much appreciated if you can help. Thx.



Cpu-Z does not show my correct voltage either. Try Speed fan. That works for me. A few of my friends use core temp. Why do u want to lower it heat issues? Let me know if you need more help.
March 18, 2010 2:27:05 PM

I thought my processor's max recommended Core Voltage was 1.36V. I can't overclock it beyond this voltage level, and if I start raising FSB then my Core Voltage jumps to 1.4V, and I immediately thought I was about to fry my CPU. It seems like I should be seeing lower than 1.36V for Core Voltage based on what I've been reading at the speed the CPU is running. I would greatly appreciate more help. Thanks for being so kind to offer. Here's my system (first time builder and I've chose components so I can grow this system after going through some learning):

Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E6300

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

ECS N9500GT-512MUL-F GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 Modular 1000-Watt ATX Power Supply

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
March 18, 2010 2:42:52 PM

1847235,41,594284 said:
I thought my processor's max recommended Core Voltage was 1.36V. I can't overclock it beyond this voltage level, and if I start raising FSB then my Core Voltage jumps to 1.4V, and I immediately thought I was about to fry my CPU. It seems like I should be seeing lower than 1.36V for Core Voltage based on what I've been reading at the speed the CPU is running. I would greatly appreciate more help. Thanks for being so kind to offer. Here's my system (first time builder and I've chose components so I can grow this system after going through some learning):

I do love that mobo. Try using diffrent software for you readings. Try speed fan and see what that reads. What are you setting it to in your BIOS? If you want you could try these settings. FSB 400mhz, VCore 1.2500. MCH 1.200. I think you mem latch should be 2.00B (not positive about that)

March 18, 2010 2:52:13 PM

OK, I guess I thought you were referring to "speed fan" as a setting of some sort, but I guess you mean "Speed Fan" as an alternative to monitoring software like CPU-Z. I see if I can download that and give it a try. Haven't done anything with MCH and I've kept the memory multiplier at 2.00B to stay under 800. I'll circle back with some results as soon as I've been able to test. Thank you so much for the hand holding.
March 18, 2010 4:01:36 PM

rbates said:
OK, I guess I thought you were referring to "speed fan" as a setting of some sort, but I guess you mean "Speed Fan" as an alternative to monitoring software like CPU-Z. I see if I can download that and give it a try. Haven't done anything with MCH and I've kept the memory multiplier at 2.00B to stay under 800. I'll circle back with some results as soon as I've been able to test. Thank you so much for the hand holding.



Sorry yea, speedfan is a program (very helpful)

The MCH is basically your north bridge. I find it helpful to raise that a bit for higher FSB speeds. Also check to make sure your Pci-E is locked at 100Mhz
March 18, 2010 4:35:56 PM

Will do!! I'll report back on Thursday night probably. I have to go out of town today. Many thanks.
March 18, 2010 6:14:24 PM

Joshwaa,

I poked into my bios to check settings. There are 3 different "MCH" settings. All on [Auto]. Are you referring to the MCH Core setting which looks to be at 1.100V on [Auto]? Is that what I should change to 1.200V taking it off [Auto]?

Also, I installed SpeedFan 4.40 and it shows Vcore1 at 1.36V (same as CPU-Z) and 1.90V for Vcore2 (which really freaks me out given CPU-Z doesn't show Vcore2). I haven't changed any settings yet. I'm still at FSM 358 and memory multiplier at 2.00B with everything else on Auto/Enable (e.g., power saving settings).

Please confirm if MCH Core is the setting you were referring to change to 1.200V, and if I should be freaking out about Vcore2 reading 1.9V which is way above Intel recommended max I think for an E6300.

Many thanks.
March 18, 2010 6:20:26 PM

rbates said:
Joshwaa,

I poked into my bios to check settings. There are 3 different "MCH" settings. All on [Auto]. Are you referring to the MCH Core setting which looks to be at 1.100V on [Auto]? Is that what I should change to 1.200V taking it off [Auto]?

Also, I installed SpeedFan 4.40 and it shows Vcore1 at 1.36V (same as CPU-Z) and 1.90V for Vcore2 (which really freaks me out given CPU-Z doesn't show Vcore2). I haven't changed any settings yet. I'm still at FSM 358 and memory multiplier at 2.00B with everything else on Auto/Enable (e.g., power saving settings).

Please confirm if MCH Core is the setting you were referring to change to 1.200V, and if I should be freaking out about Vcore2 reading 1.9V which is way above Intel recommended max I think for an E6300.

Many thanks.



Yes it is the MCH Core Setting put it at 1.200

Try upping ur FSB to 400 with the MCH at 1.2 and leave your Vcore JUST WATCH YOUR TEMPS. Leave the mem latch the same.

BTW the VCore 2 is ur mem.
March 18, 2010 6:27:22 PM

OK, thanks for the clarification. I'll leave the Vcore setting at [Auto] for right now. Tried FSB 380 without changing MCH Core or PCI-e, and it black screened never making it through boot. Took a couple of restarts to set the bios back to default. The Delete key didn't seem to be recognized to let me into the bios; it just kept cycling through the boot process to lock up. Isn't this all fun!!! As if I didn't already have enough gray hair ; - D
March 18, 2010 6:42:22 PM

ARG! Tried FSB 400 (4.2GHz), and MCH Core at 1.2V and it failed at Starting Windows and had to do a repair & system restore. Tried it again while also setting PCI-e frequency to 100. Same outcome. Thoughts? I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.
March 18, 2010 7:58:05 PM

rbates said:
ARG! Tried FSB 400 (4.2GHz), and MCH Core at 1.2V and it failed at Starting Windows and had to do a repair & system restore. Tried it again while also setting PCI-e frequency to 100. Same outcome. Thoughts? I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.



No not at all. Is your memory saying 800mhz when your at 400. Also do you have your multiplier on the CPU locked (it should be). also you have to turn off speed step and C1E. If you don't have the multiplier locked it will be hard to get stable. Also u should not have to do a system restore. Just reboot once or twice and the Bios will go back to stock for you to change the Bios back and your Windows OS should be fine. Don't forget your motherboard is Dual Bios. Try to lock those settings down and try again. If not then try 365mhz FSB and go up in increments of 5 MHZ. Also the high number reccomended by intel for that processor is 1.3625.
!