Sign in with
Your question

Rendering vs Gaming cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2008 4:28:23 AM

Hello everyone,

I am planning on building a new computer by the end of this week. Right now im looking at 8800 GT(S,X) cards. I am an Architect trainee, and I need a high performance card for 3D Architectural renderings.

Are high performance gaming cards good for rendering (3D max, Maya, Viz, Mentalray) ?
I heard there is a difference between render and gaming cards. Can anyone validate this claim ?

thanks, skyarch

More about : rendering gaming cards

May 20, 2008 5:02:11 AM

The "rendering" cards; the nVidia Quadro and ATI FireGL have drivers optimized for OpenGL workstation applications. Since they aren't optimized for DirectX games, they usually perform quite poorly.

The workstation cards are also significantly more expensive.
May 20, 2008 5:28:11 AM

If you mean software rendering(which is what I think you are talking about, since you included mentalray in there). Then the card has absolutely nothing to do with that, it's all done on the cpu.

However, like Angry_Ducky said, for real-time rendering within 3d editors(viewport rendering)workstation cards are superior, but much more expensive.
Related resources
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
May 20, 2008 7:29:45 AM

Most boards should work fine, if you are rendering you want as much cpu power as you can get. Quad core or even skull trail(8 cores by way of 2 sockets).

What makes a work station card slower also is the fact that there is(or should not be) no driver optimization. After all you do not want a flickering texture in what you render. Its a slight inconvenience in a game, but its unacceptable in a rendering job.

As said, in most cases the software renderer is best anyway since it will look the same no matter what card you use(thats how you can set up a rendering farm).
May 20, 2008 7:56:12 AM

Ye i second other peoples comments....if its software rendering then your gpu will have no bearing on how fast it renders. It will however effect how smoothly the software runs.

I suppose it depends just how serious you are, but 3ds max and lightwave both run very nicely on my 8800gt. Framerate whilst modeling is likely to be limited by your cpu in most cases.
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2008 9:21:42 AM

lameness said:
Ye i second other peoples comments....if its software rendering then your gpu will have no bearing on how fast it renders. It will however effect how smoothly the software runs.

I suppose it depends just how serious you are, but 3ds max and lightwave both run very nicely on my 8800gt. Framerate whilst modeling is likely to be limited by your cpu in most cases.

Didnt i read somewhere you can softmod drivers to make a Quadro?
May 20, 2008 9:50:01 AM

I heard that too...
!