PC-DOS & MS-DOS

What is the difference between PC-DOS and MS-DOS? I created a start up
disk using Ghost 2003 and I was given the option between PC and
MS-Dos.

wolfman
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    One of the major differences is that PC-DOS was produced by IBM, and MS-DOS
    wasn't..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "wolfman" <wolfman.1tnfpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > What is the difference between PC-DOS and MS-DOS? I created a start up
    > disk using Ghost 2003 and I was given the option between PC and
    > MS-Dos.

    > wolfman

    PC-DOS comes with GHOST, but is fairly a fairly old IBM product and may not
    work on some modern PCs.

    MS-DOS is a newer Microsoft product (not new, just newer than PC-DOS). It
    has a better chance of working on modern PCs.

    If you can not get GHOST to work from a bootdisk made with the PC-DOS
    option, then you should try an the MS-DOS option. However, you will need to
    provide a copy of MS-DOS. The easiest way to do this is to make a bootable
    (DOS) floppy from within your version of windows. Even XP can do this. The
    particular flavor of DOS that will result if you make a bootable floppy from
    within XP is actually a variation of windows ME. If that does not work with
    GHOST, get a win98SE floppy and try that. Images of win98 floppies are
    available at www.bootdisk.com.

    "wolfman" <wolfman.1tnfpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > What is the difference between PC-DOS and MS-DOS? I created a start up
    > disk using Ghost 2003 and I was given the option between PC and
    > MS-Dos.

    > wolfman

    Not strictly true, Bob.. MS-DOS 7 beta was released during 1994 and duly
    buried where IBM were still touting PC-DOS 7 during 1995 and maybe even
    1996..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > PC-DOS comes with GHOST, but is fairly a fairly old IBM product and may
    > not work on some modern PCs.
    >
    > MS-DOS is a newer Microsoft product (not new, just newer than PC-DOS). It
    > has a better chance of working on modern PCs.
    >
    > If you can not get GHOST to work from a bootdisk made with the PC-DOS
    > option, then you should try an the MS-DOS option. However, you will need
    > to provide a copy of MS-DOS. The easiest way to do this is to make a
    > bootable (DOS) floppy from within your version of windows. Even XP can do
    > this. The particular flavor of DOS that will result if you make a
    > bootable floppy from within XP is actually a variation of windows ME. If
    > that does not work with GHOST, get a win98SE floppy and try that. Images
    > of win98 floppies are available at www.bootdisk.com.
    >

    > "wolfman" <wolfman.1tnfpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What is the difference between PC-DOS and MS-DOS? I created a start up
    >> disk using Ghost 2003 and I was given the option between PC and
    >> MS-Dos.

    >> --
    >> wolfman

    .... buried in Win 95, that is..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > PC-DOS comes with GHOST, but is fairly a fairly old IBM product and may
    > not work on some modern PCs.
    >
    > MS-DOS is a newer Microsoft product (not new, just newer than PC-DOS). It
    > has a better chance of working on modern PCs.
    >
    > If you can not get GHOST to work from a bootdisk made with the PC-DOS
    > option, then you should try an the MS-DOS option. However, you will need
    > to provide a copy of MS-DOS. The easiest way to do this is to make a
    > bootable (DOS) floppy from within your version of windows. Even XP can do
    > this. The particular flavor of DOS that will result if you make a
    > bootable floppy from within XP is actually a variation of windows ME. If
    > that does not work with GHOST, get a win98SE floppy and try that. Images
    > of win98 floppies are available at www.bootdisk.com.
    >

    > "wolfman" <wolfman.1tnfpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What is the difference between PC-DOS and MS-DOS? I created a start up
    >> disk using Ghost 2003 and I was given the option between PC and
    >> MS-Dos.

    >> --
    >> wolfman

DOS MS-DOS Microsoft Windows XP