willie91k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have a dell xps with a 465 watt power supply and a 22" moniter it has a agp 9800 pro 128 video card a dont play alot of games just nascar racing and dirt track racing
and surf the web. I want better graphics that are sharper what do you guys think would be the best cart for me ?
Thanks willie..

I think a HD 3850 512mb GDDR3 will be perfect for your needs.
Mactronix :)

sailer

Splendid
I agree with the 3850 card, as posted above. But very likely the PSU will need to be replaced with something larger. The Dell PSUs are minimal in many cases and may well not put out enough amps to power the card, especially if the PSU is older.

willie91k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Ok thanks guys i will order the 3850 card will the power wire i unplug from
my 9800 pro just plug in to the 3850 card? Thanks for the help.
Don't no much about these things
Thanks willie.

No i think the 3850 has a 6 pin connector ususlly called a PCIE connector and your card will have a mollex connector.
You can get an adaptor but you will need 2 mollex free to power it.
Looks like this http://www.nanosys1.com/cbl-pwr-lp4pcie.html
Mactronix

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
The 3850 has an 8 pin power connector. There is an adaptor cable included
with the Video card. What we dont know is if you have the avaiable connectors @ your PSU.
The earlier cards like the 2900 had the same connector but would work with deminished functions with just a 6 pin connector.
Your old card has a 4 pin power connector?
You will need 2x the 4pin connector to use the included adaptor

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008

Are you sure the 3850 has an 8-pin power connector? I thought it has a 6-pin one, not 8-pin one! The 2900 had an 8-pin one

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I looked at the one @ the link above in AVEM's post.
Yes I am sure it has an 8- pin connector but it looks like the adaptor only uses 6 of the 8 sockets.

I believe you can still use a 6 pin in the 8 pin if you have one. Not sure why they have an 8 pin but the 2 molex to 1 8pin should work.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I think so too. ^

I had a 2900 and it would work with a 6 pin connector. The +2 enabled turbo boost or something like that. I cant remember the proper namencalture.

willie91k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Ok guys went home at lunch and checked it has a 4 pin conector pluged in to video card . There are two more of the same conectors just laying there not plugged in to anything they are color coded the same as the one plugged in to video card. Hope this helps
Thanks for the help willie...

Yes you can use the connectors you have spare thge 8 pin will run off of two of then the same as the 6 pin will.
I have checked and it seems it depends on the make of the card as to which connector it is. so i guess you have to decide which one you will get and get some pics or specs from the net, then get the connector it needs.
Mactronix

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Go wth HD3850 APG if your Dell XPS with 65nm CPU, if the CPU of your DELL XPS is not extreme CPU, I would suggest only to go with HD2600XT AGP as USD$ 100 vs USD$ 170 but depends on your budget.

It won't be a problem for power connector, normally there will be an power adaptor will come with the card to let you connect from a spare 4 pins power plug.

Great! let us know how it works out. I'm curious as to the performance increase you see. I have a buddy who has a similar video card that wants to keep his system alive until Christmas. I recommended this card to him but you could very well verify that its a great purchase.

willie91k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Guys got the card in friday night it works great!!!!!!! had to change the drivers when i tried to get on the serverto race just downloaded the 8.5 drivers
Thanks for all of the help!!
willie..

Great. That is probably the best you are going to get for AGP. You will want to consider a whole system replacement if you intend to play any of the upcoming games. But since you aren't a heavy gamer you should be happy for a while. ENJOY! Thanks for feedback.