8800GS Vs. 9600GT - The Battle.

System:
MB: IP35-e
CPU: E2160(1.8) @ 3.00GHz & 1333FSB
Mem: 2x1GB & 2x512MB (3GB Total) Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12 (1.2 ratio for the test)
PSU: 600Watt Ultra
Other stuff not important for this!
Data charting done in Open Office.

UC = under clock since the 8800gs I have has better then standard memory on board, so I wanted to test for people who have the base memory as well.
You guys will know the rest.
(Core-Shader-Memory)

Results:



14 answers Last reply
More about 8800gs 9600gt battle
  1. Umm nice.. but you're aware this are all 3Dmark scores right...? Which means it tells us a lot about absolutely nothing. Thanks for the effort anyway.
  2. It gives a good idea in the game sm3 benches I thought. Any free game benchmarks you guys would like me to do? I'd be glad to do some more gaming ones, but I don't have crysis so I can't test using that games built in utility.

    And we can see how hot the 8 v 9 series is again :)
  3. Ah... Throw in a 8800GT... I like to see how the 8800GT just destroys the other cards...

    PS: Be it 9 or 8 series, i mean your cards, one is G92, one is G94, same technology, almost the same
  4. Well considering one has 64 units and one has 96 I'd say they are quite significantly different since the 9600gt is usually doing just fine and the main different between all the new cards is the amount of processing/shader units on the card, no?
  5. Memory interface (192- vs. 256-bit), ROPs (12 vs. 16), TMUs (48 vs. 32), shaders (96 vs. 64), and clocks. The reason the 9600GT is more powerful is attributed to the memory bus (and size in some cases - I'm looking at you Crysis) and ROPs. A 768MB version of the 8800GS (or 9600GSO) would perform much better in most non-synthetic tests because it has >512MB.
  6. Why is the 9600gt close in high resolution benchmarks to the 8800gt? I forgot about the 25% decrease in rops. Overclocking/having high speed memory can significantly make up for that bus bandwidth (at 2000MHz on the 8800gs you have a close race against a 1800MHz 9600GT don't you?)
  7. No,

    2000mhz*196bits/8bit/byte = 48000MB/s for 8800GS
    1800*256/8 = 57600 MB/s for 9600GT

    to have an equal memory bandwidth you would need a 8800GS with 2400mhz memory, which isn't possible with most GDDR3.
  8. There is also stuttering to consider. I found with my 3850 256mb that many games suffered from stuttering even tho they ran at a decent pace. I have no first hand experience, but even if the 8800gs can produce acceptable benchmark results at decent resolutions, i suspect that at those resolutions stuttering will be an issue.
  9. well not exactly a landslide either at that speed though. Lameness - I will test that theory out if I find some games to use to bench at higher rez's, I'm curious too.
  10. lameness said:
    There is also stuttering to consider. I found with my 3850 256mb that many games suffered from stuttering even tho they ran at a decent pace. I have no first hand experience, but even if the 8800gs can produce acceptable benchmark results at decent resolutions, i suspect that at those resolutions stuttering will be an issue.


    Maybe it's your card issues.
  11. lightfoot__ said:
    System:
    MB: IP35-e
    CPU: E2160(1.8) @ 3.00GHz & 1333FSB
    Mem: 2x1GB & 2x512MB (3GB Total) Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12 (1.2 ratio for the test)
    PSU: 600Watt Ultra
    Other stuff not important for this!
    Data charting done in Open Office.

    UC = under clock since the 8800gs I have has better then standard memory on board, so I wanted to test for people who have the base memory as well.
    You guys will know the rest.
    (Core-Shader-Memory)

    Results:

    http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/lightfoot3b/Graphicstest_html_457aa0b8.jpg

    http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/lightfoot3b/Graphicstest_html_50ce0b4.jpg


    Pretty cool. You might want to download demos and benchmark. Crysis?

    Was your 8800gs EVGA? You can easily clock the core higher no? Memory can easily clocked higher considering 1000mhz is what the EVGA are rated for. You might want to turn the fan up a notch and see if it overclocks further. I have mine @ 729/1728/1044 for every day use.
  12. KyleSTL said:
    No,

    2000mhz*196bits/8bit/byte = 48000MB/s for 8800GS
    1800*256/8 = 57600 MB/s for 9600GT

    to have an equal memory bandwidth you would need a 8800GS with 2400mhz memory, which isn't possible with most GDDR3.


    Nothing a volt mod and nice cooling couldn't handle. But you are right I have mine at around 2100mhz. Close enough.
  13. Yes, I have the SC version from Fry's for 87$ shipped after rebate and the reference PNY 9600GT (118$ shipped after rebate) that overclocks nicely and stays cool. I just threw up that overclock as a quick and hopefully safe attempt to see what it has. The temps got me worried and I didn't have more time for this last night. It takes awile to swap cards, boot, run tests, record repeat when you only have one system! The celeron (7year old) laptop did the number crunching.

    I'll crank up the fan and try again when I'm ready to bench some games. I do love the performance per $ on these cards! (and I was an ati fanboy to the point it amost killed me to order the 9600gt ... until it replaced my x800xl and I remembered what it was like to go from a rage furry maxx to a x800!
  14. Damn I wish I could play with your 9600gt so I can test it throughly. They are pretty close. Usually 8800gs is better raw performer but 9600gt is better at AA.

    Rage fury maxx. :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crucial Memory Graphics