WOAH - Are my Computer Temps Right?! Seems REALLY hot. Random Crashes

jorberg

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Hello,
I've been having some trouble rendering some movies out with Premiere Pro. Basically my computer randomly shuts down in the middle of a render, and its never in the same spot. Someone pointed out that it might be a cooling issue and that my computer is just getting too hot and is shutting down. I took this to heart and downloaded SPEEDFAN and setup an HDV render for Premiere. At the peak, here's what I came up with:

SYS: 102C
CPU: 99C
AUX: 43C
HD: 37C
HD1: 49C
HD2: 50C
TEMP1: 40C
Core0: -16C
Core1: -17C

I'm currently running a Q6600 on a evga 680i board. I have never overclocked this computer. HD0 is a raptor drive with the others being Seagate 500gigs. I'm currently using a P180b computer case with all of my fan spots used up with 120mm fans operating as fast as they will go. Do I need to figure something else out? I need this system to last me until the next big thing comes out, and I don't want to damage anything. Can you tell me if my numbers are normal and if not....what should I do to get them down?

Thanks for your help!

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok, i dont really trust third party software, so i would see if evga has a temp program, alternatively let the computer start rendering and as soon as it crashes restart and jump in the bios and see what the CPU temp is.

those are far too high btw, the cpu should be around 50-55 load and 30 idle (just a guide i believe the Q6600 actually runs even cooler, but i need someone to confirm)

jydez

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
My suggestion is to shut down, pop the side panel off your computer and take a look at the heatsink on your processor.

2 things, make sure the heatsink is seated properly and that the fins are clean.

On the odd occasion I've had a tower get bumped and one of the pins that seemed to be tight pops loose. Of course when that happened it tended not to even boot all the way.

More common, dust and lint gets blown onto the fins and it collects there, blocking air flow. If the heatsink is plugged, it's possible for the computer to run fine with low-demand applications, but as soon as you run something more demanding, it overheats and crashes.

Forgive me if you know this already, but not knowing your personal building experience, I'm also going to suggest you look at your fan orientations in the tower. You'll want to have some fans sucking air into the case and some exhausting air out. The rear fans are best for exhaust, leaving top, front and/or side fans to pull fresh air in.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Take a look and see what it idles at in the bios....you can trust that temp and it will give some indication of whether or not ur cpu is gonna melt its way through to china.

Then use real temp.

I use speenfan and coretemp and have used Asus Probe and a sensor thats on my case and all of them have gotten me the same results.

There are only 2 reasons this is showing. 1. He has an old version of Speedfan not designed for the 680i or Q6600. Or 2. he has a new stepping of Q6600 that has yet to be seen, past G0 but I doubt it is a newer stepping.

sailer

Splendid

Odd thing, I've used all those three and they all give different results, with Speedfan recording the lowest, Coretemp recording the highest, and ASUS Probe somewhere in the middle.

Back to the OP. First thing I would do is to try reseating the heatsink with a good paste. After that, I'd buy an after market heatsink. In fact, I'd probably just buy a better heatsink in the first place. There are some good ones out there which don't cost a lot and they do a much better job than the stock Intel heatsinks. You can check out some reviews at Anandtech on heatsinks for a bit of decent guidance.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Are all your fans pointing out (or all in) instead of the front and side blowing in and the back & top blowing out (I don't know if you have side and top fans).