New System Build (3000$-3500+) OS Question as well

statang

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Hi all, Sorry if this may have been answered

I'm interested in buying a high-end pc (but not the highest absurd, but just great performance for Games)

I am thinking of these options:

Monitor Viewsonic vx 2835wm or Samsung 2253BW
CPU Core2 Duo 8500
Casing Cooler Master (not sure which one)
Mobo x48 chipset: P5E64 WS Evolution or Rampage Formula or P5E3 Premium
Vid Card 1GB ram preferred (9800 GX2 or 9800 GTX?)
Ram Corsair DDR2 -Twin 2x2048-8500C5D(F) or DDR3…1333 (PC 10600) - 4GBS total (2pairs)
PSU 600 or 650 pure cooler master or 850 or silverstone
Soundcard SB elite pro ?? Or asus xonar DX2

Appreciate your views, as i wouldn't want to purchase something wrong. Also i am thinking, for games, should i use Vista ultimat 64bit? or 32bit?

thanks
Mark

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I just build a gamming rig, and went for a q9450 with a 8800 GTX. Don't think the 9 sereis are really worth it atall, and the only reason I got a GTX vs GTS is that they basically cost the same here (UK) now.

If you're just gamming then go dual core, but if you're intersting in encoding, ripping, etc, then quad is the way forward (in my opinion)

Also, i got the 750W TX Corsair PSU after a lot of positive reviews and opinions...

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Personally I would do 64bit, and also do 8GB total, not 4GB total. Now as far as power supply goes, I would do 700W or a littler higher. Memory, do the best speed that matches your mobo. I use on-board sound, so can't comment on the soundcard.

statang

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Thanks... is 64bit compatible with the hardwares i state here and is it compatible with most of the new games??? 07 onwards i mean.

also, what memory would you buy ? i know according to toms, its not worth it to go to the ddr3 high end.. pls advise

thanks again guys

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
DDR3 is not worth it.
You're clearly a noob since you have bought into the marketing hype that more GPU memory is better. 512/768 is the sweet-spot for high-end GPUs (save for the 2 GPU GX2). You will see virtually no difference with 1GB. Besides, one of the monitors you listed is 1680x1050, which is not a high resolution.

IMO your budget is way out of wack with your 'high-end but not absurd' comment. Unless you're looking at taking that C2D to 4.0+Ghz, you do NOT need an X48 motherboard. A P35-DS3L (and the like) would do fine. With a budget of $3000+ you should AT LEAST get Crossfire or SLI, which IMO, you don't need, unless you opted for a 30" display (which would be about 1/2 the budget anyway). You should redo your budget for ~$2000 with monitor.

If someday you're looking to go SLI at least make it an option by going for an nForce 780 board (or 790, to a lesser extend because of DDR3).

My suggestion:
E8400 (for today's games) or Q9450 (for tomorrow's games)
nVidia nForce 780i board (for future expansion)
4GB (2x2GB) name brand (Corsair, Adata, OCZ, Crucial) DDR2 1000
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB
Corsair 750TX PSU
Asus DX soundcard
WD 6400AAKS HDD
Antec P180/182 case
Vista Home Premium/Ultimate 64

That's a pretty decent build, add whatever monitor you like, but I'd definitely suggest 1920x1200 resolution.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The X48 is not worth it unless you are an ATI fan so you can do CF.
It's a nice build, but I would get a nice P35 board and save a little cash.

Also forget DDR3, it does not do much at this point.

Your build does not look anywhere near $3000, but it's reasonable.
You will likely want to upgrade this time next year with the saved funds since there will be lots of new stuff then that should be well ahead of where we are now.

That is why not going overboard is good.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Agree with some earlier posts. This is kind of a tough time to spend large $ on a new build as there is new stuff that is coming out end of 2008 or beginning 2009. Both in the graphics card world and processor world. Unfortunately with what is on its way processor wise there isn't a motherboard you can buy that will probably support it. If you have that kind of money to throw into it may be worth it to wait and see how good this stuff is. If you do hop on it right now I agree with skipping the DDR3 route, money better spent elsewhere. Also would highly recommend 1920x1200 resolution.

statang

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
er.. ok I am a noob.. thats why i post in this forum :p
in any case, i'm not in US, so prices are more expensive here.. a 9800gx2 will cost like $725 so thats why the costs shoots up.

now, i hv another pc using the older 8800GTS640mb, and hv decent frame rates in COD4, but not good enough if AA is turnned on. I need to upgrade another PC which is 4 yrs old ,, so .. hence this question.

Ok so I gather from here(correct me if i'm wrong)
1. 64bit os will work with the games (8GB better) - Question: Which corsair Ram would i buy?
2. I want to go higher than 8800GTS512, which should i opt for?
3. so i prob need to go with the viewsonic 28inch? any other alternatives? i don't think I hv Dell in my country..
4. so i should opt for x38 mobo? which type of asus? (why asus? easier as i know the local distributor)

sorry to waste ur time for noob questions.
Thanks again
Mark

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You may also want to read some of the forums on sound cards. lots of people have had issues with the SB but not sure if the elite is one of the ones with the crackling. lot of money to dump into a soundcard if it crackles.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I could not disagree more. This is a perfect time to build. Quads have come down in price. GPUs are cheap and powerful (in a very competative market currently)

Ah, I see, international prices are absurd. The 9800GTX is basically an overclocked 8800GTS512, so it will not be a big step up from what you currently have (20-30% probably). The 9800GX2 is overpriced here in the US, so I'm betting it's rediculous where you are. I'd advise against it. I'd also advise against an X38 board, as the only reason to get it is to implement CF (which you clearly won't). I'd say the best Asus boards to get for your case are: P5K SE, P5K, P5K EPU.

24", 25", 26" and 28" widescreen monitors all have 1920x1200 resolution. Samsung, Viewsonic are the names I'd stick with, personally.

If you have the money for 8GB, go for it. I intend to got for 8GB when I do my next build (Nehalem).

I didn't answer the questions in order, but I provided answers for all your inquiries.

However, with your current stepup I'd suggest waiting until 9900 series GPUs come out. If that is out of the question I'd suggest an nForce 780i motherboard (edit: or 750i) and 2 8800GTs/2 8800GTS 512s (provided it is within your budget). Also, please provide us with the specs of your entire current system.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Kylestl,

So i'm confused, you disagree that this isn't a good time to buy with new technology around the corner for a person spending $3500 but then at the bottom you say "I'd suggest waiting until the 9900 series GPUs come out"? That was my whole point. If you are going to drop $3500 on a very good system why not see what the 9900s (and the Nehalem for that matter) have to offer? Even if they aren't all they are cracked up to be you could still build the system at that time without them and things (like the GX2) will probably be even cheaper.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

It was a general comment, however in his situation he'd be better served to go SLI or wait for better single GPUs because he has a G80-based card. If it were someone with a single-core system, or a 939 AMD or Pentium D, it would be the perfect to build new right now around an 8800GT or the like. It is still a perfect time to build because 2x9600GTs are <300USD. You can always wait forever for what's just around the corner, but in todays market high performance is cheap.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I get what you are saying. I think it is a little different right now because with Nehalem you can't just upgrade one thing. Most of the time you get something good and when something better comes out just upgrade it. But what is on the horizon would mean new CPU and motherboard. If it wasn't for that then I would be all for just getting something good and if the next CPU or GPU is way better then upgrade later. His price range is also a big factor. $3500 is pretty good. In my book that is on the higher end of what you can get if you are building yourself. For someone who wants to be on the high end these "new" things should be more important. If the guy wanted to spend $1500 my opinion would be a lot different. But I do get what you are saying and agree that right now he could do quite well (he better for $3500). :)

statang

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Thanks Kyle and bdollar.

Kyle:
Forgot to say, 1 hv 2 pc, one i use and one my wife normally uses if we both are playing the same game ^^. My system is an old 4yr pc.
My wifes:
-core2duo E6600
-4gb ram (3 only recognized :p) Corsair twin6400
-SB Elite Pro (no crackles, sound actually much better and in game speed improves with or without the card, as currently this card is under repair by creative, so i know)
-8800GTS640
-HDD seagate 300GBx2
- Casing Coolermaster praetorian (with 600watts)
-Asus mobo (sorry forgot the type), some deluxe type...

I think i'll hv to wait for the 9900 if i want to use 1 GPU.. any idea when this will come?

oh yes the only reason i was thinking of x38 is because of PCI 2.0, but i'll find someother that supports PCI 2.0. and Kyle, do you prefer the viewsonic 28" or the samsung, if you had to pick one.. which one would you go for?

Thanks again guys!!!!

statang

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
oh and another question guys..
i noticed in tomshardware chart of CPU, for gaming the 8500core2duo fares well in games (some even better than the quad, also with prices of quad double/triple the cost of the core2duo). But as I am moving to 64bit, is quad the way to go? strictly speaking for games, i play games, only games and slight mp3 listening and movie, but thats about it. no encoding etc.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Do not base your MB decision on PCIe 2.0, nothing floods a PCIe 1.1 16x slot yet, and the only reason to base your decision on PCIe 2.0 would be if somehow GT200 is absolutely phenominal (like CRAZY powerful).

As for as gaming at 1920x1200 goes I would stick with 24", but if you're adamant about 28" I would go for Viewsonic, because I can't find my info on the Samsung 275T. The one thing I do know is the Samsung is a 27" PVA panel (because of Samsung's naming scheme) and the Viewsonic VX2835WM is a TN (which has less lag and is typically better for gaming).

The E8400/8500 would be advisable for current games, however, in the future games will increasing use >2 cores, and you'll [sadly] need an upgrade to play if you opt for a dual core right now. My suggestion, buy the quad and you shouldn't need to upgrade ever (especially since we're very near the end of the Socket 775's life - just ask me about S478, since I'm still using one).

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have heard TN is the way to go as well.

Hey Kyle i have a quick question. Do you know anything about led backlit lcds? I think they are too expensive right now but it seems like a lot of new ones are coming out so hopefully that means price drop in the future. I can't find anything about response time. It appears they have great color and contrast ratio but for gaming I would think the response time is going to be important?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Yes, they are pretty good right now (albeit rare). However, their prices are prohibitively expensive and the technology still needs a little time to mature to take advantage of the incredible characteristics of LEDs in general. I would not expect them to be remotely affordable (read: within your budget) for the next 2 years (unless of course you spent the entire $3-3.5k on an LCD - which would be kinda useless).

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
hey kyle.

this was more of a question for me not the OP and I could afford it although i want to wait until they have matured a bit. i just haven't been able to find any scoop on response time. I have read many articles on how great contrast ratio is.

statang

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Thanks Kyle... do you have a YM/MSN so i can pm you when the time comes for my upgrade (seems i would need to wait slightly for 9900 or something)