(Asus + AMD) is it any good?

sailer

Splendid
That motherboard is designed primarily for server work and not for gaming. You might be sorely disappointed if you try gaming on it. A better board for combining work and gaming is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131593 and it only costs about $20 more. I've used it, and other high performance ASUS boards for both business and gaming for years, with only one model that had particular problems. In that case a later board revision fixed the problem.

dark_age

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
What a disappointment

And about the card you mentioned, I think it is ok but what do you think if I want to switch to Intel which card do you recommend?

Thanks

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
The downside of the silent card is that the card can run quite hot and probably won't overclock as well. I'd go for one with an aftermarket cooler, I've got the gigabyte one with the zalman fan and it's overclocked so it's quiete than the normal card and faster.

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
So you are getting the E8400? Then you need a mobo that supports that not the one you listed earlier. Could you also specify what is your budget?

sailer

Splendid

I didn't mention a card. The silent card you listed is ok at stock speeds only. Even then, it may run hot. A 8800 GTS 512 is fairly quiet and stays relatively cool. I've got one in one of my computers and it does a good job.

There are quite a number of boards available for the e8400, depending both on what you use the board for and how much your budget is. some of the P35 boards will work fine, but others won't with the e8400. The upcoming P45 is supposed to be a good design board for the new generation of chips.

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
The board in the original post is fine for gaming. The difference, if I recall correctly, between the M2N32 Deluxe and the WS Pro is that the Pro one has PCI-X slots instead of regular PCI slots. This has NO impact on gaming and will work perfectly since you will be using the PCI-E slots for graphics and it a very good board.

The crosshair has a few extra features - e.g. it has an LED for post info but offers no performance increase. If you like extra bling, you might want that board.

For the graphics card, I'd recommend you wait a week or two for the new graphics cards to come out (around the 20th, isn't it?) - as this should force the price of other cards downward.