HDD config for Adobe Premiere Pro - Raid

garyclay

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Ok, to start with my techie knowledge is limited so please speak slowly and don't use too many big words!

I have just moved to HD camcorder which uses MPEG-4 AVC H.264 and my old system just can't take it any more so i'm upgrading to an i7 with 12gig of memory and going to give windows 7 x64 a whirl.

I am aware that premiere can acheive some performance enhancement from using multiple disks/partitions in RAID combinations.

My new system will have 3 drives. 1 x 250Gb (which i was going to use for O/S and apps) and 2 x 1Tb drives for data.

Exactly how should I instruct the system builder to configure the drives to get the best performance from them as I wouldn't have a clue how to set them up myself!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to point me in the right direction!

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
take the 3 250GB drives, and put them in a raid 5 (3+ drives needed to do so plus high redundancy) and the 2 1TB drives in raid 0 ( best performance, but if one drive fails, you loose everything.) if you have a selection to choose the stripe size on the raid 0, choose 16KB if you can.

-edit- sorry, thought it said 3x250GB drives when i was writing, just put the 2 1TB drives into raid 0 an your good

you have to set up raid configurations in the bios. get the manual out for you mobo, or search google for one, and find out how to do so

TRENDING THREADS