Strange monitor problem, help please!

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I have had an LCD monitor for a long while now (it is a Proview PL926wsi), and recently it just hasn't been working with my computer. It works fine when I plug it into my dad's laptop, but its almost as if my computer suddenly doesn't like the dual monitor setup. My primary 22" CRT monitor works fine, but the power LED for my LCD just flashes on and off when its plugged into the computer and the computer is on. If I unplug it or turn my computer off, it works fine... the LED stops blinking and it brings up the No Signal display on my screen.

I have a 550watt antec PSU and an 8800ultra video card, so I would think its getting enough power. What other things could make this happen? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

What I have done so far:
I have reinstalled drivers
I have tried a different adapter (it uses analog, but the 8800ultra only has DVI, so I use an analog -> DVI adapter)
I have tried a different cable
I have tried a different power cable

slapdashzero

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
From any monitors I've had with similar issues, sounds like your refresh rate or resolution is not meshing with your second monitor; LCDs can be more finiky than CRTs. Try setting the Refresh rate to 60Hz (your monitor may very likely support a higher refresh rate, but it will support this for sure.) Also, set the resolution to something like 1024x768 (again, it very likely supports higher, but it will support this, albiet looking crappy.) Then change the settings up once it's working. I'd be suprised if that doesn't fix it.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
you can also unplug your primary and restart the computer.
Windows will boot the one monitor as the primary and if this works you can rule out a broken port on your card.

I've found XP pro to be really finicky about different monitors. I can't get my secondary monitor to run at its native resolution, very frustrating

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008

I just tried changing the refresh rate to the two available settings (60 and 75 hz), neither worked. I have had it set to the native resolution as well, but went ahead and tried all of the others (ranging from 800x600 to 1920x1440 [though native is 1440x900]), none of them seemed to work.

I dont think any of these changes would require a restart, correct?

Yea, forgot to say I tried switching around which port each monitor is plugged into as well and with only the LCD in, neither of which worked ><

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep the ideas coming, something is bound to fix it.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
The only thing I updated at any point before it stopped working would probably just be a game or two, since it stopped working I have updated my video card/monitor drivers

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I had a similar problem with an HP LCD (blinking power LED and no picture). I took the monitor apart and found a couple of bulging capacitors. I replaced the capacitors and it solved the problem. It is strange however that it seems to work when connected to a laptop.

zeff116

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

What does a bulging capacitor looks like? All mine seems the same. Is it obvious?