8800 GTS 512 Underperforming?

Hey, I just bought an 8800GTS 512 and decided to benchmark it with FEAR.

I have it overclocked to 755 core and 1976 mem. To my surprise, on max settings, I only had an average FPS of 63 at 1440x900.

From what I've seen in benchmarks, that seems low to me. I had AA and AF all the way up, soft shadows on, and everything else set to max.

The rest of my system is:

- AMD Athlon 6000+ @ Stock speeds
- 2gb CORSAIR Valueselect DDR2 667
- Antec Trio 650w PSU
- GIGABYTE AM2 AMD 690G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
- Windows XP SP3

Some benchmarks show average FPS of ~60 at slightly higher resolutions, which doesn't worry me (I did have FF running in the background), but other ones show 150+ at max settings with same or similar resolutions. Do they have something turned off that I'm not aware of, or am I really only getting 30% of my cards performance?

The temperature remains between 51C and 60C with the fan speed @ 100% and the previously stated clock speeds.

I'm downloading 3dmark 06 to test my score on there and see how it relates. I'll report back. Any information regarding my problem, however, will be very helpful.

edit: I also have the latest drivers off NVIDIA's website and I removed the ATI ones.
5 answers Last reply
More about 8800 underperforming
  1. When you say AA all the way up do you mean 4xAA or 16xq AA, cuz its a big difference.
  2. I'm pretty FEAR only goes up to 4xAA.
  3. so I did 3dmark '06 and got 11,053 with some stuff in the background, so I guess everything is running fine. I must've just had FEAR configured differently than the other people.
  4. Dalyinx said:
    Hey, I just bought an 8800GTS 512 and decided to benchmark it with FEAR.

Some benchmarks show average FPS of ~60 at slightly higher resolutions, which doesn't worry me (I did have FF running in the background), but other ones show 150+ at max settings with same or similar resolutions. Do they have something turned off that I'm not aware of, or am I really only getting 30% of my cards performance?

Yea, they probably have vsync turned off. With it on you are limited to your monitors refresh rate which ~60 is typical.
  5. Yeah 11K on 06 with your system is about right. Some games perform better than others. Vsync might cause issues it is on or off. I know Vsync makes some games very needy and others vsync keeps things from studdering.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics