Sign in with
Your question

Switch out PCB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2009 10:48:40 PM

One day, my Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus Drive started blinking and the drive became unrecognizable and it wasn't spinning up. I looked on other forums and they said that I could maybe switch enclosures and the drive would work. I did that but the drive still doesn't work. I also looked at different forums and they said that the drives inside the Maxtor, which is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS Firmware SD35, may have firmware issues and it needs to be updated. I can't update the firmware because the drive doesn't come on. Also, from other sites I've seen that I can go and get another drive and replace the PCB. My question is, can anyone provide any detailed info on how to switch out PCBs?

July 27, 2009 11:53:55 PM

just get the appropriate screwdriver

and unscrew the chip on the drive, ensure any wires between the chip and the drive arent damaged, carefully remove any connectors and do the opposite to put in the new 1.

make sure u get an identical drive, same firmware same model same everything, and if switching the pcb dosent work dont try to open the drive and switch the platters its a complete waste of time, i had to learn the hard way.
m
l
July 28, 2009 1:22:39 AM

Thanks xaira
m
l
March 9, 2010 6:52:10 AM

Hello,

My drive has died. How can I determine which firmware to get; I'd like to save my data.

Ron
m
l
!