Better image...24" or 25.5"

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Hi,

I'm in search of a new monitor. Here's the question I have for you all.

If EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL, what size monitor will have a better display for the user? A 24" monitor or a 25.5" monitor.

In other words, I'm trying to figure out if a larger screen actually produces a clearer crisper image than a smaller screen if everything else is the same.

Thanks.

Size has no baring on image quality.

Image quality is based the the LCD technology used wihin the LCD panel itself. From best to worst is as follows:

IPS Panel - Best image quality generally used by graphic designers where image quality and color accuracy is of the utmost important. Expensive.

P-MVA / S-PVA Panel - Middle of the road in terms of balance between price and image / color quality. Excellent for most people and moderately priced. 24" LCD of this type generally starts at about $575.

TN Panel - Generally considered "gamer LCD monitors" because they have the "fastest response times". But no matter how fast the response times there is always some level of ghosting though some people are bless to have eyes / brains not sensitive enough to detect them. Poor color quality, and is the least expensive of all LCD panel techs. Other draw backs are poor viewing angles and can be noticeable even when staring straight at the monitor. Text on the bargain basement brands seems "fuzzy" to me.

All LCD monitors from 24" up to 28" have the same resolution. PC monitors that are 30" or larger (not HDTVs) have resolutions of 2560 x 1600.

What this means is that as the size of the monitor increases while maintaining the same resolution, the spacing in between the pixels also increases. Therefore, images on a 28" LCD may not look at sharp as that on a 24" LCD monitor. Panel tech also makes a difference, a 26" LCD monitor built around a IPS panel will look sharper than a 24" monitor using a TN panel (at least to my eye).

Note: The smallest monitor with 1920 x 1200 resolution is the Lenovo Thinkvision L220x 22" LCD monitor. It uses a S-PVA panel and probably costs around $550. All other consumer level 22" monitors use TN panels with only a resolution of 1650 x 1050.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Clarification, it's not the size of the void in between the pixels that increases, it's the size of each individual pixel that is larger.

Second, the resolution is 1680x1050. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just correcting a minor mistake. Everything else he's said is correct. IPS and _VA panels have superior color spectra and replication as well as viewing angles, but TN panels [typically] have much better response times.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007

Doesn't alienware have a 17" monitor in a laptop with that resolution?

But I guess we're talking about non laptop screens. But I just wanted to point that out.

So you really think the P-MVA/ S-PVA panels are really that much better? Do you think they are worth the price increase?

To me, yes I think P-MVA / S-PVA is vastly superior to TN panels.

Having said that, I did not hesitate dropping $1,300 for my 26" (25.5") NEC LCD2690WUXi monitor which uses a H-IPS LCD panel last year.

TRENDING THREADS