Is something wrong with mobo or the ram?

aleatoryitguy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Okay So I just got the ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi board replacing an older MSI K9A2 CF-F which had died on me about a month ago. Components I have/using are:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Quad Core
PSU: HEC Zephyr 750W ATX12V/EPS12V
GPU: VisionTek Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCIE 2.0 x16 HDCP
Memory: Geil EVO ONE 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
HDD: WD Raptor 10k RPM SATA

So I get everything in and only am using 1 stick of the ram to boot however upon powering on I get all the fans, HD whizzing and dvd drive lights; only no video display on the monitor, nor any bios beeps. However if I swap mem sticks same thing. If I take them out i get the 3 beeps which indicate memory error. Now I know that the memory I am using isnt supported by Asus and according to the GEIL website memory configurator tool it wont work, however using the same tool it says the same about my old board but I can assure you it did work just not at the advertised clock speed was only getting about 800 out of it which was fine at the time. I dont have any other ram to swap out with right now but I will buy some if i have too already asked around if any friends had any i could borrow but no dice.

Any advice?

please :wahoo:

akhilles

Splendid
I'd borrow you my ram. I'm curious about the cpu & mobo.

ASUS boards may be more stable with ram in the outer slots. Try that. Heck, try each stick in each slot. It should at least let you go to bios and make changes. Until you set up ram in bios, you can't boot into windows. If you shop at a local computer store, you can ask them to borrow a standard stick for setting up bios & swapping ram afterwards. It may be $10.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
My suggestion, is your looking for trouble when you dont get the recommended hardware for the mobo, if they dont support the ram that u have, theres a reason, and you have probably just experienced it.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Set Bios to configure ram by spd and if needed bump up the voltage a bit if needed.
The memory controller on the cpu may not like the settings of the Geil ram above the spd settings.

aleatoryitguy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

well mind you i only had to get a new mobo since the old msi burnt up so i figured the components would work but since they arent.....I have probs

:(

aleatoryitguy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
akhilles wish I could go to a store and do that but doubt any of them even have 1066 ram. We used to have Compusa here but it got shut down which really pissed me off. I went to a couple of local stores when the MSI burnt up and told them what i needed and all of them were like " i dont have anything that extreme" I mean an AM2+ mobo with more than 1 PCIE slot is extreme? Dont move to Hampton Roads VA, is all i say if youre a geek

:(

akhilles

Splendid
Kingston DDR2 uses 1.8v. You can look at their specs on their site.

I meant you could borrow standard ram from a computer store, use this to boot up your pc and change bios settings, then swap ram out. You know how and it can be done in minutes.

aleatoryitguy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Update!!!!

Reset CMOS and swapped cpus, to an older am2+ chip

and i got a bios and post

But when i get to windows i get a bsod with a message saying ATI2DVAG causing error and resulting in a infinite loop. So working on trying to get driver rolledback or something.

TRENDING THREADS