bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Hey!

I used my computer last night just fine, but this morning it wouldn't start.

It doesn't even make it to the Boot itself, but simply stalls with a 'C1' on the POST display on the motherboard.

CPU: QX6700
MB: EVGA nVidia 780i SLI
RAM: 4x1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800Mhz
Video: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX KO ACS3
PSU: Silverstone Zeus 850W

As soon as I turn the computer on, 2-3 seconds later a very faint *beeeeeeeep* sound follows, then pauses briefly, then *beeeeeeeep* again.

According to the nVidia 780i SLI manual, the 'C1' POST message says "Base Memory Detected".

This is the second time I've had this error.

I recently had a EVGA nVidia 680i SLI motherboard, then the above error happened and I sent it to repairs at a local shop.

They told me that there were issues with the motherboard, so we decided to upgrade it to the 780i instead.

And it's been working fine for the last 4-5 days without problems, but this morning it all started again.

Perhaps some of you knowledgable guys in here can help me out, or maybe give an explanation as to why this happens?

I'm sorta tempted to believe that it's not the motherboard that's causing the problems, since the same error has now happened twice - and on two different motherboards.

I think it may be the Ballistix RAM modules that's causing me grief. :mad:

Any help?

Cheers,
Bassa

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

No, you can definitely run one at time. When you buy dual channel RAM it simply means the two sticks are tested to run together in dual channel mode.
Edit: Also, are you able to access the BIOS, or does it freeze before you have a chance?

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
The technician at the shop said that the RAM voltage and timing settings had been reset, even though he couldn't answer WHY it had reset itself.

The RAM were set back to 5-5-5-18 and with 1.8 volt.

The proper settings for my RAM are 4-4-4-12 and 2.2 volt.

He removed all but one stick and entered the BIOS and re-set the timings and voltage settings, turned off, plugged in the remaining three sticks and it runs smoothly again.

I just don't know why the computer seemingly by itself resets my RAM settings all the friggin time.

Cheers,
Bassa

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

Well if the BIOS is losing it's ability to retain its' settings, then it's very possible the CMOS battery is going bad. You could try replacing it.