XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler Question???

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I will be using the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 CPU cooler on my e8400 that will be mounted on an evga 780i mobo. And I see that it comes with a manual fan controller knob that mounts on the rear in the card slots. My question is do I have to use that manual control knob, or can I attach it so that the mobo controls it's temps automatically? And since I will be overclocking the e8400 as much as possible so that it is stable, do I have to keep the fan cranked on high all the time, or only when gaming??? This is my first build and this will be a gaming only machine for the most part. I am also thinking about getting the zalman 6 fan controller also. I have never built a machine or overclocked before, sorry for the noob question. Thanks.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

You can either connect power through the fan controller and adjust speed manually or skip and connect to the motherboard 3/4 pin fan socket. The motherboard will automatically adjust fan speed if you connect to it. You should not need to run fan at 100% all the time.

akhilles

Splendid
Didn't know that hsf came with a fan speed control. That's a bonus. You don't have to use it if it's optional. Hook the fan up to the fan connector on the mobo. That's it.

You might want to get some zip ties to tidy up the cables in the case. Keep them away from any fans.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

It doesn't matter. 3 pin can also be controlled by motherboard bios, you just need to set method to voltage. 4pin can be controlled through both voltage and pwm methods.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Mine didn't come with a fan controller. How did he get a fan controller? I want a fan controller. This is so not fair. Why does everyone hate me? I'm gonna go eat something.

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I am very sorry. I just realized after he mentioned he didn't get a fan controller, that I thought I was looking at the cooler in question, when infact I must have been on the wrong one. But you guys still answered my question of hooking it to the mobo, which is what I plan to do. Thanks for everything sorry bout the confusion.

TRENDING THREADS