Vista install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hololfux

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hello,
My wifes Gateway laptop picked up a virus. For safety I figured I'd format and re-install Vista. I've done this many times before, but never with a Gateway machine and never with Vista. I can't find our original recovery disc, but there is the original MS product key stamped on the bottom of the machine. I managed to get a Vista installer (legit), but the product key is not recognised. Not sure what to do next - contact Gateway and request a Vista recovery disc/installer? Is there anything else I could try? Getting a little desperate - any help appreciated.

Usually the laptop has a hidden partition with an image of the original installation for resetting the laptop to factory condition -- If you didn't reformat the entire HDD the partition might still be there -- Instructions for using it are located HERE

Well in that case anothr thing to try would be downloading an OEM version of the install files (Available from Digital River -- See HERE for a list of the various iso's -- NOTE : Digital River is the official download site for iso images of windows products so these images are safe to use - just be sure to indicate the proper version of Vista to install as the keys will vary by version and installing the wrong version will result in failure to activate (ie. Basic - Home premium - etc.) Or enter your key when requested and the image will install the proper version to install based on the key you input. (With VISTA all versions are included on the iso and which files to install is based on the key code entered during install unless you press enter and install without entering a key until later)

Yes the link is for a Dell support site but all OEM versions should be the same and will work with the OEM key you have on your laptop (Retail and OEM versions differ but all OEM should be the same and interchangeable) -- Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

According to the site :

Note these .iso files may be used with a Dell/non-Dell OEM product Key but phone activation is required (see note at end). This key is typically found on the COA attached to the base of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.