Sign in with
Your question

Cannot install windows xp "no disk driver" error

Last response: in Windows XP
September 5, 2010 5:48:54 PM

I cannot get this laptop to boot from a Windows xp Cd to install windows xp. I had previously tried to do a system restore from my clients self-created backup cds, but it got caught in a loop and i couldnt do the system restore. So I purchased a Windows XP CD trying to just reinstall windows xp on the laptop but its not working. The first error message I got was that Windows cannot recognize any hard disk drives.

The second error message I got was
"The file fastfat.sys is corrupted."

The third error message I got was
"Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system. "

I think its looking for the original disk drives, which I DO NOT HAVE! The laptop didnt come with an original restore CD and the backup CDs my client made are toast.

What should i do to get windows xp installed?
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2010 9:38:14 PM

It sounds like it is a Sata drive.Check the bios or go to the makers website and find the model of the hard drive and then download the drivers for it. You could also go into the bios and see if you can set the hard drive to IDE and then you shouldnt need drivers.
m
l
September 15, 2010 2:55:10 AM

mibix19 said:
It sounds like it is a Sata drive.Check the bios or go to the makers website and find the model of the hard drive and then download the drivers for it. You could also go into the bios and see if you can set the hard drive to IDE and then you shouldnt need drivers.

thanks so much for your reply....i think the things you mentioned are way over my head unfortunately. thank you though!
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2010 2:56:56 AM

but i might be able to get into the bios....any idea how to do that? it is caught in a loop and I cannot get windows to load. but i can get into the microsoft dos setup area by pressing I think its F8 or something...is that the Bios? lol like I said I'm not an advanced tech person.
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:33:17 PM

Typically either the F2 key or Delete key when the machine is first starting should take you to the Bios setup sereen
m
l
!