my desktop beeps like hell :O

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey,
since a month or 2,
the desktop (one that the whole family uses) is starting to become anoying...

When for example I play a game nothing wrong till like 10 minutes, then there is a beep sound (BU-BI-BU-BI-BU-BI....)
that lasts forever and is so loud that it is not good for the ears, u can't stay in that room cuz of the sound :p
Now the sound comes out of the case, I've not made the desktop myself, my father bought it (4years ago!!! :p) pre-built.

Now since I'm browsing this forum for like a month, I learned that cleaning the case is pretty good now and then...
I never cleaned it in like 4-5years, never opened it... and it's under my bureau-table (pretty dusty)
Maybe I should do that once :p

What causes that sound, where does it come from???

Thanks!!!

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Speedfan will report CPU temp and HSF fan speed. Just open the case and see if fan on CPU cooler is going roun and use a torch to see if cooler is full of fluff!

Mike.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
OK, I opened it for the first time, the whole thing has a white color because of the dust!!!
How do I remove it?
The metal case pieces I can clean easily, but what about the mobo, fan etc? how do I do that?

thanks!

No...do NOT vacuum. Vacuum cleaners generate static. Get a can of compressed air, take it outside, and blow it out really well.
That alarm is probably a thermal alarm. If it were a failed fan, the noise would probably begin immediately, rather than after ten minutes of gaming.

jwclark

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007

Air in a can. Also it may very well be the fan. Depending on the processor/heatsink the system still may boot and work fine, if a little hot, until you do something like play a video game.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I have no compressed air and no idea where to get it
I prefer to do it now,
I already cleaned a (only) case fan...
Now I can see the HDD and dvd/cd burners, should I take them out and clean 2? or just leave
And the CPU is the thing on the mobo with the fan over it?
Can I take out the PSU and clean that fan 2?

jwclark

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Oops, didn't see last comment. Usually just blowing it out will get most of it. You may want to download something like speedfan as previously mentioned to check the temperature.

Office supply stores, computer shops, and your local WalMart are among the places that will have cans of compressed air.

When the machine is on, are all the fans running? Is there a fan on your video card, and is it running too?

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
no fan on video car, but the fan on the mobo (I think its on the CPU) is FULL of dust like more then the other parts of the case...

I can"t see any screw how do I deattach it fro mthe mobo?

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I did everything, also the CPU fan and the whole case seemed clean, also all holes in the case to let air trough

Now started the desktop op succesfully and going to run WOW now (the game that beeped always)

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
WOW, could it be, doing this made my desktop like 2 times faster?
It was an uberlagging, slow stareting machine, now he goes smoothly!! How does that comes?

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, this post reminded me of trying to teach a grandma how to check her oil when she barely knew her car had an engine.

In some cases, this is what geek squad is for haha.

Heat = not good for computer components, cpu etc.
Dust - Good insulator of heat, acts like a blanket and completely eliminates air flow over the components to get rid the heat.
Canned air = A can that holds compressed air, no need for an air compressor like you see in a garage. Used for blowing dust and dirt out of areas that are sensitive to liquids, like computer circuit boards.