Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Q about Win 7 recognizing new HDD with fresh install

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2009 4:07:46 AM

Only wondering if anyone has a solution as to why the Win7 RC install process won't identify the WD Caviar Blue 320 GB HDD I installed in my new build, so that it can write the windows install data to?

How do I get around this? It is asking for drivers, yet I have no idea where to find these. Western Digital offers a utility tool to diagnose what you need, and I can't find an actual driver to help my cause out. Any help from you midnight rangers, would be well received :wahoo: 

-e

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 29, 2009 4:16:46 AM

First off, does the hard disk appear in the BIOS?
July 29, 2009 4:33:16 AM

I see that it lists Drive A as having a 1.44M, 3.5" something though it says nothing about Western Digital 320 GB SATA anything.

Related resources
July 29, 2009 4:51:51 AM

When the computer first starts, there is no listing for IDE Channel 0 Master--it reads blank.

The IDE Channel 0 Slave and Channel 1 Slave and reads: None

The IDE Channel 1 Master reads: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A SB01

And this HDD sounds very strange when I first boot the computer. It makes a tick-tock, tick-tock noise? And there's another sound that sounds like the disc stopping quickly--a snuffing out or slight sizzling noise. The tick-tock noise is something I've never heard before though.

Ah well, reckon I'll work on this tomorrow--I think somethings amiss in the BIOS, meaning I didn't connect something right or maybe I was sent a lemon? Thanks for you help anyhow! :) 
July 29, 2009 3:08:09 PM

My HDD is screwed. It's been making strange ticking noises from the jump, whenever I boot it. BIOS recognizes something in one of the Master channels because it doesn't read "none" as two other channels do. It doesn't read anything, it's just blank. I've checked and rechecked both the power and data connections and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Nor have I changed any of the BIOS settings.

I've also noticed that is cmos/bios I can't change the settings to the IDE Channel 0 Master. Is it my HDD afterall?

Should I return this to NewEgg?
July 29, 2009 11:46:09 PM

Update: It may not be a broken HDD, but just that I haven't formatted it yet, so it is not being recognized by the windows install disc. Still I'm struggling, and reaching out for help about how to do this. I don't understand how to format a HD in BIOS and am drawing blanks so far. Any help would be appreciated.
July 31, 2009 11:27:55 PM

The problem is solved: the HDD I was sent was DOA so I'm having a replacement sent in its place.
!