Need a mobo recommendation (around $130)

Adz85

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
So I've been looking around myself for a while for a mobo, but it seems every forum I look at says something new and there are just so many options out there that I'm going crazy. This is my first full computer that I'm putting together so I'm certainly no pro.

I want a sub $1000 machine that's good enough to play some of the latest games out there and I'm not too fussed about 'future proofing'

I've decided to get a

Core 2 Duo E8400
DDR2-800 Corsair 4GB-Kit (2x2GB)
520W "Corsair" HX-520
and probably a 9600GT

I don't know how to OC, but I'm willing to learn (another issue) so a mobo which would allow me to do so to a small extent would be good but not necessary. I'm looking for something with 2 PCI, don't really want to run dual gpus but i spose if the 2nd PCI-e slot comes cheap, I'm not against having one. I've been looking at the Asus P5k EPU and it seems like good value. Will there be any heating issues? If so, there is a similar model with a heat pipe... does that help significantly?
If you need me to give you more details I'll do my best.

Thanks in advance for any help

Get a HD 4850, much better than the 9600GT.

The 520HX will not support two HD 4850 cards, and a Crossfire motherboard that actually does the job properly for HD 4850 would cost over $200 (it has to be X38 or X48). So, how about we stick with a single slot, but make it a PCI-E 2 so it lets the card work well. Examples:
GA-EP43-DS3L or MSI P45 Neo3-FR LGA 775 Intel P45

I like the MSI because it has 4 PCI slots, very handy for sound card+tv tuners + whatever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128347&Tpk=GA-EP43-DS3L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130180&Tpk=Neo3-FR

What country are you in? I know a Perth in Australia and one in Canada and I'm pretty sure there's a couple in the US too :)

Adz85

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Perth, Australia and thanks for the reply, I'll look into those ones. The more PCI the merrier for me too, I have a tv tuner and sound card so 2+ slots are welcome :D

You don't have to worry much about future proofing, as Intel is changing sockets later this year with the cpu code named nehalem. Msi makes the p7n-sli, and the price is right, if you can find it in Australia.