Sign in with
Your question

Two HD and One SSD Config On New Rig

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2009 8:31:46 AM

I am building new rig. I already have 2 Raptor 300gb drives and wasn't sure if I should raid them or let them be. I want a different drive for my OS and already have a raptor 150gb in an older computer I can use or was thinkin mayby a 30 gb ssd from OCZ.

Would A SSD for my OS make a large difference in overall performance for all aplications?

Does an OS on a HD or SSD by itself make a difference?

Is 30 GB enough for OS or would larger make since even tho I have the raptors?

should I raid the raptors for my gaming or leave them?

More about : ssd config rig

July 29, 2009 9:30:14 AM

As you are having 2 300GB raptors, go with RAID 0...and get a backup drive for other data...I feel the raptors in RAID 0 would have similar performance as an SSD (Maybe little better)

But if you want speed, not worried about space, can spend more, then wait for the new intel 80GB SSDs(Not the old black ones, these are silver in color) as OS, apps drive, then RAID the raptors for games (If you have many) and a backup drive for data...
a b G Storage
July 29, 2009 1:56:36 PM

shecklen said:
I am building new rig. I already have 2 Raptor 300gb drives and wasn't sure if I should raid them or let them be. I want a different drive for my OS and already have a raptor 150gb in an older computer I can use or was thinkin mayby a 30 gb ssd from OCZ.

Would A SSD for my OS make a large difference in overall performance for all aplications?

Does an OS on a HD or SSD by itself make a difference?

Is 30 GB enough for OS or would larger make since even tho I have the raptors?

should I raid the raptors for my gaming or leave them?

>> Running your OS from an SSD would indeed enhance overall performance, but I don't know what OS you're running so I can't venture to sya how much space you'll need. I'm still running Win XP SP3 but on my new build. which I'm currently working on, I'll use Win 7. Don't know how space Vista requires right off-hand.

>> Yes, you can RAID those 300GB raptors. I plan on eventually getting an SSD for my OS as well but I'm going to wait until the upcoming TRIM command has been implemented. As I understand it, SSD I/O can be degraded by the OS if a lot of small files are frequently written to the drive. This has been documented and discussed here as well as elsewhere. When using a regular HD and deleting a file, the system marks that space as un-allocated and can be easily over-written. When the same thing happens on an SSD (again, as I understand it), the SSD must first delete the data in that block before it can write to that space. The TRIM command (I believe) is supposed to fix that problem.

>> The SLC SSD drives are smaller in storage capability but give faster operation when compared to current MLC drives (but not by a whole lot).

>> What I plan on doing is getting the SSD when the time is right, install my OS on the SSD drive, relocate the Windows SWAP file, temp folder and Internet browser temp files to folders on the RAID 0 raptors. My Programs and games will also be installed on the RAID 0 as well. At the moment, I plan on purchasing the Intel X25E Extreme SSD (32 GB) for my OS. The 64GB model of the same drive is $669.00 which is way out of my budget at the moment. Yes, there are other drives that I'm looking at but right now, the 32GB X25E is my plan. When the time comes, if I can afford the 64GB X25E then I'll buy that model. Intel also makes some of the MLC models as well so give them a look.

>> I suggest you do some more research. Prices will eventually come down a little. Try to stay away from SSD drives with the JMicron controller, they have been known to cause a stutter problem on writes. Other vendors have started using an Indilinx? controller which is better than the JMicron and one vendor has even offered a 10 year warranty on their SSD drive.
Related resources
July 29, 2009 4:28:31 PM

I'll be running Vista Ultimate 64-bit until 7 comes out.

I was looking at some 30 and 60 GB SSD from OCZ. I'm not sure what controler they use but the reviews from new egg looked good.

I'm really not very good with a lot of this stuff so to be honest, I think I understand what you mean by relocating swap and temp files to raid drives in theory but I don't know how. When the time comes i'll ask on the forums and hopefully someone will help. :) 
July 30, 2009 4:21:45 AM

mikey5802 has indeed pointed out the main points in detail with regards to the SSDs...

And as for the OS, the WIN 7 is better optimized for SSDs so going with it is a very good idea...
And the OCZ drives (OCZ Vertex) has the Indilinx controller but I doubt it has the TRIM command implemented...not so sure about that...
That is the reason why I had suggested the latest intel drives as they have the TRIM implemented and has intel's own controller...
July 30, 2009 5:27:47 AM

30 gb isnt enough for windows vista, or it is enough, but it will be the only thing you put on it and you will have to be very careful about how you update. and personally i would make a raid 0 with the raptors just for fun, see how t works.
July 30, 2009 6:31:41 AM

I've looked at Intel's ssd's and the Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB is in my price range at $229 US right now. My next question, is there a newer version of this drive coming out soon? I read some blogs and was confused about a version 2 but I might have been delusional about that. Not sure.

And my raptors will be in raid 0 for sure.........which brings up new questions. I've never raided before. Can most new motherboards accomplish this or do I need a raid card? EXample......Asus p5q deluxe? p5e deluxe?
July 30, 2009 6:44:47 AM

shecklen said:
I've looked at Intel's ssd's and the Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB is in my price range at $229 US right now. My next question, is there a newer version of this drive coming out soon? I read some blogs and was confused about a version 2 but I might have been delusional about that. Not sure.

And my raptors will be in raid 0 for sure.........which brings up new questions. I've never raided before. Can most new motherboards accomplish this or do I need a raid card? EXample......Asus p5q deluxe? p5e deluxe?

thats a really cool drive if you dont mind having only 80gb, i ended up gtting a kingston 128gb V series for my laptop and it is so nice.

as far as coming soon goes, i say if you want it buy it and never look back; something better is always right around the corner.
July 30, 2009 7:25:42 AM

I like your style......
July 30, 2009 9:22:25 AM

OK...so the silver one is a second release of the same named SSD but from the looks much improved. In the article I did not see a release date. Gkay, have you heard of an ETA?
a b G Storage
July 30, 2009 9:31:42 AM

The new (Silver) series is already released but they pulled stock back due a to a firmware problem with a BIOS password that had been set. It would corrupt data. If you don't set a BIOS password the problem won't manifest itself. Intel is withholding any further release till they can get a firmware fix fully tested and approved. Shouldn't be too long, maybe a couple of weeks.
July 30, 2009 11:43:28 AM

mikey5802 has given you the answer...
The 34NM intel SSDs are already released but the sales is halted for sometime because of that BIOS password issue...and the fix wouldn't take long...
July 30, 2009 5:38:29 PM

Thank you gentlemen.....
a c 415 G Storage
July 30, 2009 5:40:23 PM

gkay09 said:
That is the reason why I had suggested the latest intel drives as they have the TRIM implemented and has intel's own controller...
Be careful about this. The 2nd-generation Intel X25M G2 drives being sold by Intel right now do NOT implement the TRIM command. Intel has promised to release a firmware upgrade which supports TRIM when Windows 7 is released.

Until you apply that firmware upgrade, you're not getting the benefits of TRIM.
July 31, 2009 6:42:58 AM

Will firmware flash existing drives or will firmware upgrade only be on new ones?
a c 415 G Storage
July 31, 2009 9:59:26 AM

My understanding is that owners of the Intel G2 (2nd generation) drives will be able to flash them with the new firmware that supports TRIM, but that it will NOT be usable for the original (1st generation) drives
July 31, 2009 11:38:04 AM

@sminlal I had put the statement wrong EDIT: Wrong spelling here too :p  ... ;)  But now I guess you have explained that properly...Thank you... :) 
!