Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Programs Menu

Last response: in Windows XP
September 6, 2010 12:20:43 AM

When I click on my Programs Menu and it shows my programs the columns are huge. I don't know how they got so big but I would like to make them smaller because there is no room for new installed programs to show in the columns.
If anyone can explain how to fix this I would appreciate it!
Thank you in advance.
Fatbaby

More about : programs menu

September 6, 2010 3:43:51 AM

It seems like you have installed many programs on your system to solve this problem you have uninstall some unusing programs and after uninstalling do not install on C Drive install in some other drive.
September 6, 2010 5:18:26 AM

You don't say what "Huge" means. Yup, seems like it should be self-explanatory, but it isn't.

Are they extra-wide? Giant fonts? Super-long list that doesn't all show up? Multiple columns that don't all fit on screen? (due to super-large fonts)?

There are settings to change whatever your problem is.

Related resources
September 6, 2010 12:25:25 PM

The fonts are the right size, there is just a lot of blank space till you get to the next column. I only have room for two columns, there are actuall three columns visible but you can see only half of the third column. I have a pic but don't know how to post it here. I read somewhere that sometimes certain programs change the size of the columns. If I measured the distance between the end of the name of the program and the black horizontal bar for the next column there is probably 3" of blank space.
Thank you for helping, I am assuming the fix is in the registry.

Best solution

September 6, 2010 2:08:40 PM

Ok, that shows a settings condition, not a breakdown in the XP system. The registry is probably where these things are determined ultimately, but no need to do brain surgery when a simple tune-up will do. Below is a link to Microsoft that shows various things you can do. Pay attention to the item about scroll bar width. This seems to be what is affecting your machine.

Click-Me

and/or HERE
September 6, 2010 9:30:09 PM

I did the change on the scroll bar as directed and it didn't help. Then I tried renaming some of the programs in one column with shorter names and that didn't help.
Now what should I try?
Wanda
September 6, 2010 10:35:12 PM

Finally got it fixed.
Thank you for your help! You have been a blessing to me!
It was one file in the last column.
Wanda
September 7, 2010 1:50:01 AM

fatbaby55 said:
Finally got it fixed.
Thank you for your help! You have been a blessing to me!
It was one file in the last column.
Wanda

Where there is a will, there is a way, or, as Bil Gates said "It can all be done with software."
September 17, 2010 12:12:14 PM

Best answer selected by fatbaby55.
!