Sign in with
Your question

Massive dust problem 5 years unopened case! :p

Last response: in Components
June 10, 2008 3:30:42 PM

So I've never touched or opened my case for 5 years, a pre-built computer,
But since last month, It starts beeping like crazy when playing a game or something,
maybe to much heat??

OK, I opened it for the first time, the whole thing has a white color because of the dust!!!
How do I remove it?
The metal case pieces I can clean easily, but what about the mobo, fan etc? how do I do that?

thanks!
a c 121 ) Power supply
June 10, 2008 3:37:21 PM

Get a can of compressed air. Open the PC up outside on a nice day and blow it out really well.
June 10, 2008 3:38:56 PM

Moisture free, oil free compressed air. Available in spray cans from electronics suppliers. May want to move it outside before blasting.
Related resources
June 10, 2008 3:45:00 PM

Can I do it witout? I already removed the dust from 1 case fan and the main dust-mountains are out of the case...

Can I do it just with a (dunno what it is called in english) a towel to clean dust :p 
June 10, 2008 3:47:43 PM

I've always used an air compressor instead of spending $5 on a can of air. It's free and does a much better job. I also tried a leaf blower once and it worked just as well :) 
June 10, 2008 3:53:18 PM

techtre2003 said:
I've always used an air compressor instead of spending $5 on a can of air. It's free and does a much better job. I also tried a leaf blower once and it worked just as well :) 

Problem with that is that it compresses and blow air from your surroundings. Unless you're in the desert, that air contains water (humidity) which you are blowing all over your expensive electrical components. Many people do not like doing this for just that reason.

Please don't give stories of how you've used it on dozens of computers and never had a problem, thats fine, you're just playing with fire when you do it.
June 10, 2008 3:56:41 PM

techtre2003 said:
I've always used an air compressor instead of spending $5 on a can of air. It's free

Where can I pick up one of these free air compressors?

:D 

June 10, 2008 3:57:16 PM

Obviously don't use compressed air when the computer is on. Just a few quick bursts, and it should be fine.
June 10, 2008 4:04:20 PM

The CPU cooler (I think it is), the one attached to the mobo, is FULL of dust, I don't see any screw to Deattach them, how do I do?
June 10, 2008 4:14:20 PM

carver_g said:
Where can I pick up one of these free air compressors?

:D 

Free assuming you have access to a compressor I guess :) 
June 10, 2008 4:18:16 PM

deuce271 said:
Problem with that is that it compresses and blow air from your surroundings. Unless you're in the desert, that air contains water (humidity) which you are blowing all over your expensive electrical components. Many people do not like doing this for just that reason.

Please don't give stories of how you've used it on dozens of computers and never had a problem, thats fine, you're just playing with fire when you do it.

If I were cleaning a nice rig (such as yours) I probably wouldn't recommend that method. I was just recommending that for the OPs 5 year old computer. The computers I use a compressor on are at work and are just the cheap workstations. And just for the record, we haven't had any problems with them :D 
June 10, 2008 4:50:05 PM

WOW, I cleaned everything and got It to start up like normal (my first desktop I actually looked into the inside)

Now he works hella smoothly!!!
Normally he lagged like hell and started up in 5 minutes,
now its 2 times faster!!!

How does that come??

Now I am going to run WOW to see if the beep is still there...
June 10, 2008 4:55:33 PM

Lots and lots of water. Then a lot of electricity. JOKE BTW
June 10, 2008 5:17:06 PM

Leaf Blower outside does wonders...
June 10, 2008 5:19:22 PM

vsdagama said:
WOW, I cleaned everything and got It to start up like normal (my first desktop I actually looked into the inside)

Now he works hella smoothly!!!
Normally he lagged like hell and started up in 5 minutes,
now its 2 times faster!!!

How does that come??

Now I am going to run WOW to see if the beep is still there...

I'd imagine your processor was throttling immediately on start up (lowering clock speed because of extremely high temperatures). If that's the case, you're now running your hardware at stock speeds and it should be much faster.
deuce271 said:

You sound a bit paranoid about this. As long as it's not raining you will NEVER to damage to electrical components with ambient air. To OP, don't do it when it's storming.
June 10, 2008 5:21:35 PM

if you wanna clean it cheap then just get a hair dryer and press the cold air button on it.if you didnt press it then something will melt!lol

or the proper way is to clean it in water and leave the whole thing dry for like a week to be on the safe side then turn it back on.but this way you will get more hussle than the other one.but better result.
June 10, 2008 5:24:29 PM

The reason it is now running fast than before you cleaned it is because the CPU was getting too hot before and was throttling. The CPU slows itself down when it get too hot so it doesn't get damaged.
June 10, 2008 5:29:05 PM

kyle beat me to it.
June 10, 2008 5:47:35 PM

You never want to use a leaf blower, hair drier even on cold, a vacume cleaner or air compressor. All of these sources will create a static charge. On top of that an air compressor will add both moisture and oil. Only use the can's of air made to clean electronics. They have added compounds to eleminate static buildup and the air has been filtered for moisture and oil. You garage air compressor with a water filter will not get the job done. Even the best auto body shops have problems filtering moiture and oil out of the air supplys they use to paint a car with and thats almost as critical as using compressed air on cleaning electronics.
June 10, 2008 5:51:36 PM

I use an air compressor as well, and I've done over 100. Humidity lol. If your skin aint wet your computer wont get wet.
June 10, 2008 5:52:27 PM

well stoner i done that to over 10 mobo and havent seen a problem of static build on up components or kill the mobo, it maybe you have been unlucky.but even i walk into the computer shop ask for the product,the salesman told me quietly just use a hair dryer will do.actually i heard that quiet a few times.another one is i want to buy some screen wipe the sales just told me get some MR muscle and spray it on a cloth then wipe it.result?fantastic!
June 10, 2008 6:50:48 PM

Shop vac is my tool I use to clean.

Vacuum out all the crap for starters, then turn the hose around and blow all the remaining dust out. I use an adapter to reduce from the 2" hose down to about a 1/2" hole so it really blows hard. Will peel most of the dirt out of a PC will little issue. Been doing it this way for 10+ years on dozens of PCs with no problems.
June 10, 2008 7:34:25 PM

it looks like its been through the "bow of dust".must be very soft aye?lol
June 10, 2008 7:40:50 PM

It was, just took the vacuum to it.
June 10, 2008 7:46:06 PM

put it next to your next door neighbour's washing then blow it!!!it must be funny their reaction!LOL remember to run though!HAHA
June 10, 2008 7:53:16 PM

well it would be revenge for all the times they have a bbq when we have washing out....
June 10, 2008 8:02:30 PM

damm!what you do to counter attack the BBQ revenage?the dust bow would be good idead you know.i dont think they will eat those chicken wings if they got dust on them!lol
June 10, 2008 8:07:31 PM

I had to image the hdd before a reinstall (owner didnt know what data needed saving) refused to touch it until it was cleaned, ended up cleaning it myself! :D 
June 10, 2008 8:09:01 PM

anyone try polish their HDD to bling bling*?
June 10, 2008 8:12:46 PM

I've used an air compressor too, but if you use too much pressure you may mess up a fan (happened to me before).
June 10, 2008 8:14:03 PM

can you actually blow something thats soldered on with a compressor?
June 10, 2008 8:17:38 PM

compressors often produce water in the spray
June 10, 2008 8:38:41 PM

Hold the fans from spinning while blowing dust out. Over spinning can ruin the bearing and could be dangerous if the fan should be brittle or stressed and decinerate under hyper speed. A plastic wire tie or the nozzle from a WD 40 can, or the like, is good enough to keep the fan stopped while blowing on it.
June 10, 2008 8:47:04 PM

iluvgillgill, I have never had a problem cleaning a machine out. But I have customers that have brought me machines wondering why they doen't work after cleaning with both vacume cleaners and air compressors. Seen many different things like smoked southbridge chips, sound cards fried and a couple video cards gone bad. Really I could care less how someone cleans there systems out, doing so improper just means more business for me. Can't believe you would listen to some salesman, lol.
June 10, 2008 9:06:51 PM

but the point is i didnt experience any similar problems like your customer's had.maybe its just my pure luck.i guess i will still push it though!but i blow clean my whole system every 3 months so no hard cleaning needed.maybe thats why im still in good shape!:) 
June 10, 2008 9:57:34 PM

iluvgillgill said:
well stoner i done that to over 10 mobo and havent seen a problem of static build on up components or kill the mobo, it maybe you have been unlucky.but even i walk into the computer shop ask for the product,the salesman told me quietly just use a hair dryer will do.actually i heard that quiet a few times.another one is i want to buy some screen wipe the sales just told me get some MR muscle and spray it on a cloth then wipe it.result?fantastic!

I have never been shot... said the guy playing Russian roulette

June 10, 2008 10:12:53 PM

i guess so!its holly exciting!!!haha
June 10, 2008 10:26:22 PM

Damn guys you can clean ur pc any way you want to!!! All we (the inteligent ppl who know what we're saying) are saying is that a can of comp. air is the best way to do it.... You'll really have to try and break ur rig when using it... So just decide how much ur pc is worth to you and do whatever!?
June 10, 2008 11:07:43 PM

deuce271 said:

I can one up you. I worked in an "It shop" that rolled out and supported directly over 5000 computers. I the 3 years I was in that department we used a small compressed air machine to clean out every PC we had. These PC's sat in industrial warehouses so they got damn dirty. Never once had a problem with it... ever.

5000 Computer
1 cheap air compressor: $200
Or
$50000 in canned air

Choice is easy.

June 11, 2008 12:17:01 AM

smart people will use more convincing words then that!M@sC0T

use a can of compressed air doesnt prove that you are smart anyway.if a 7year old are instructed to use a can of compressed air to clean his PC compare to a professor in plastic surgery which dont know much pc and use hair dryer instead.so is the 7 year old in primary school is more intelligent than the professor?i dont think so my man!think before you speak and dont start insult on anyone in here.
June 11, 2008 10:30:15 PM

panicatak said:
Here's one I had to clean out for someone recently, was a celeron based Dell.

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5396

lol I hate to say it but I got ya beat badly. I just got a hold of one of my friends parents computers to try to salvage data off their hard drive since the computer stopped working and well I popped that thing open and I swear there was probably 2-3 times the dust. Sad thing is the computer is a small micro atx computer with only one fan, the cpu fan. I have no idea how it got so much dust in there, all I know is when im going back there to return their HD tomorrow im bringing my tools, dust mask, and a can of compressed air and cleaning their other computer.

Oh and strangely enough it didn't overheat due to the dust, and the fact that the CPU fan was 100% covered in dust all the way to the point where it did nothing. The HD actually gave out, sure surprised me when I narrowed it down to that.
!