Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place. But my question is video related, even if the hardware in question is not.

I've got a 22" LCD monitor with VGA and DVI-D inputs. My PC has a video card with DVI-D output only. My wife wants me to set up her work laptop (Lenova T60) to be able to share the same monitor/mouse/keyboard as my PC. Her laptop only has VGA out.

What is my best choice for connecting the PC and laptop to the same monitor via a KVM switch?

I see my choices as
■ Use a DVI to VGA adaptor on my PC graphics card, buy a VGA KVM switch, and use the VGA input on my monitor
■ Buy a USB docking station for her laptop w/ DVI-D out, and buy a DVI-D KVM switch

My concern with the first option is will I see a degredation in video quality converting from DVI to VGA (It's a gaming machine)
My concern with the second option is cost...almost twice as expensive as the first option.

If there is a third option, I'm all ears.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I have 2 machines sharing the same monitor...
one plugs into the DVI port the other plugs into the 15-Pin DIN port.
I just use the input selector to select between different machine when I need to.

my 2¢

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
as long as the components are of decent quality, the VGA adapter shouldn't cause a noticeable loss of quality. There aren't any other options than those 2.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd agree with MadHacker. Use the KVM switch to be able to use the same keyboard/mouse on both systems, but connect the gaming rig via the monitor's DVI port and the laptop via the monitor's VGA port. Use the input selector on the monitor to switch between the two.

I actually use this set-up for my gaming and all-purpose rig.

-Wolf sends

same

Yah I agree kinda with what MadH says, just for your keyboard concerns, why do you need to share that? Just get cheap keyboard and mouse.

KVM is not necessary unless you absolutely must share the same keyboard/mouse (like for ergonomic reasons) and have no dual input LCD. No point in wasting money if you don't have to. Of course some people like the esthetics of a KVM.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Desk top space is limited for a separate keyboard/mouse. And the wife is not one to be swapping them back and forth each time.

Don't know why I didn't think about using the monitor to just change the video source. I guess that's where you guys come in:)

I can get cheap switch to share the keyboard and mouse..

You can get a switching usb hub(each port has a button to allow it do go from computer a or b so i have mouse, keyboard, MCE Remote and UPS for monitoring on it). Got one at walmart for like 20$ or so thats what i use where desk space is limited.

or just use a kvm and do not plug in the monitor ports...

What i use(but mine says USB 2.0 and works at that speed) - It does limmit the number if inputs/sec so gaming mice are not as good on it(500 inputs per sec gets cut to 370 and 128 gets cut to 90, I use 2 mice because of this)

http://www.acrox.com.tw/productdetial.asp?id=134#Title