ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever purchased an Open Box motherboard? I've been looking at motherboards on newegg and have noticed that I can save a good $50, at least, if I were to purchase an 'Open Box' item...newegg says that only the item itself is shipped...does that mean I'd have to download all the drivers and would be missing all of the accessories? Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated...

The Open Box MB will likely come with the MB CD because it is a returned item and newegg would not accept it without the original packaging including the MB CD. There is no guarantee of getting 'everything' like the Driver/utility CD, cables, manuals, I/O shield, etc. Also, check the return policy on Open Box items. It's something like 15 days, not the same as a new retail MB purchase. Newegg does not test the board. An Open Box MB certainly has it's risks (may be a dud), but if it works then you saved the money you mentuoned. I have never bought an open box MB. Fry's Electronics tons of 'open box' MBs as well as other electronic components at reduced prices as well. Never bought one. I take it back. I bought a nice Logitech keyboard open box from fry's. The USB cable was attached so I took a chance. LOL.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
mmm...so it seems its not worth getting the mobo then....thats sad...was really looking forward to positive views on 'open box' items...

I have seen people on these Forumz buy Open Box MB from newegg and have no problem at all. Saved some money in the process. You have 15 days, so that is something as far as returning a bum board.

mjam

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I've purchased open box mobo's from the egg twice--I got NOTHING with either of them. I can download drivers and manuals, and I have plenty of cables, but the lack of an I/O plate really bugged me. I decided that overall it really wasn't that great a value and I won't do it again.

Just my 2¢ worth...

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Its not worth getting in my opinion. It would be more worthwhile to get a new mobo, as that mobo might have been experimented (water cooling on chipset and when returned, just stuck heatsink without thermal paste).

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
i think its ok to buy one. just make sure you test it and inspect every part of it. but if you going to overclock or do heavy gaming you would want the warranty

Yeah, the lady is a dufus. It's kind of funny, she can't act her way out of her stupidity. I noticed newegg states MB only, no accessories. I think Newegg used to state there is no guarantee any accessories will be included. You may get the accessories if they are available. Now newegg sells returned MBs as 'OEM'. news to me.

You have to consider how many Newegg purchasers return a perfectly good MB due to user misunderstaning and user error. A lot.

I have a friend who worked at Fry's as a tech for a while. I think returned MBs are given a basic 'power' on by that department, then placed back in the box and put on the floor with a reduced price tag. Never bought one. Always make sure I buy a new, unopened box.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

Was that a hamburger she's preparing to eat or what ????
Hope she'll not post here asking for help :pt1cable:
My system is not booting could be the mobo that I was playing with ? :??:

Was that a hamburger she's preparing to eat or what ????
Hope she'll not post here asking for help
My system is not booting could be the mobo that I was playing with ?

You can tell you have never read the reviewers at Newegg. Some of the dufus's writing reviews over there make her look informed. It would get too comical here to post a few prime examples.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
For 50$ you'll get what you pay for
Mobos wiyh closed box are not guaranteed to work and sometimes you have to RMA
What do you think of an open box one??
It might not be defected totaly
Partial defect is more worse than total one
Just imagine yourself buying the mobo of that lady

Like I said, members of this Forum have purchased Open Box MBs from newegg and had no problem. My advise to OP would be to 'not' purchase an Open Box MB. Even if you buy off of Ebay, you can find one that comes with all the accessories sold as original. What does Newegg mean by Open Box = OEM? What is that?