XP 64 Networking problems: no driver f File and Printer Sharing client

twpinson

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello,

This is, to my frustration, the 3rd thread I've had to start in response to my decision to switch over my PC to XP 64. Right now, I can connect to the internet and all of my normal off-line processes are working but I cannot see other computers on my home network and they cannot see me (nor print off of me, which is what I want). Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol TCP/IP are both installed and I can access properties, but File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is not. When I click install and choose "client," I receive the following error message:

"Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device. If you have a disk that contains the updated driver...etc." I click OK and it takes me to "Install from disk," where I cannot get any further. What do I do? I scoured the net looking for solutions but was unable to find any.

I am running XP 64 right now. I tried to duplicate your problem and I get the same error message, trying to do what you are doing. The error message is correct, IF, you have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" appearing and checked in the window of the "General" tab. If it is not showing, or cannot be checked, then you have another problem.

There is no Client system to be added in a standard environment.

The reason I think you cannot connect to other computers is you don't have the necessary protocol installed. To enable the transfer of information to/from other machines using the Microsoft Networks, you need "NWLink NetBOS" installed, or your machine will remain an island. When you install NWLink NetBOS, you will also end up with "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" being installed, which is not needed and is there for use in NetWare Networks. It is harmless to leave it there and enabled.

If all your machines have NWLink NetBOS installed, they will communicate with each other.

twpinson

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the reply!

All of the other machines (including a Mac!) are able to find and communicate with each other. Would I still need to install the software on them or is there any way of looking up what protocol they are using? I know that we use TCP/IP for internet (which is working fine). I'll try installing it on the 64 machine first and see if I get any bites.

+1

Good question. All my machines have shared folders, thus they show up to each other. I put your suggestion to the test and any machine not sharing anything disappears from the other machines. I have always been sharing things, so I just didn't think/remember this little trap.

twpinson

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Yes, I do have several things shared. I've also tried to directly connect using the computer's IP address...no dice.