The Best Mid-ATX Case?

wildben

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
What do you all think is the best mid-ATX case out on the market right now? I need good looks, good airflow, good features, and good quality. Budget is up to $300 (If mid-ATX's go up that high).

I don't want a full tower as I only have 2 hard drives, and 2 optical drives... and I don't want the huge size or weight of a full tower.

I like the Antec 900, Antec P182, Coolermaster 690, maybe Thermaltake Tsunami, or some Lian Li case... haven't looked at any others. I need help to decide which is best, regardless of the price.

So, what mid sized ATX do you all recommend, and why?

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I very much like my antec 900, for its price it is a great case.

However if you have 300$ to spend on a case, there are surely higher quality and more feature rich cases from Lian Li - just check their website; I will for the hell of it while i'm here.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=132&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec

Lian Li Mid Atx Armorsuit case

8kg Alluminum, Noise dampening, Rounded edges, 5 fans well placed smallest ones are 120mm @ 800 rpm which should be fairly quiet

Has other features, just click the link.

edit:

I believe this case falls between qualifying as a full tower and a mid tower - although Lian Li calls it a mid tower, but it is fairly large. It still seems excellent though and its only 8kg

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
another vote for cooler master cm 690. perfect case, except the location of power/reset button. it should be moved to center, not the side.

wildben

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Awesome... that's exactly what I needed, just to narrow down to the few best out of the hundreds out there.

The Lian Li that ovaltineplease posted a link to looks a bit big from the pictures, and I didn't really see any features that the other 2 cases didn't have to make it worth 3-4 times the cost.

So between the CM 690 and Antec 900 (this has probably been compared 300 times) I may need some help to narrow this down... My main concern with the CM 690 is build quality. A lot of reviews say that this case has a cheap feel to it. Need something solid and high quality to last a while. Anyone with any thoughts on the case quality?

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i think just the opposite about my cm 690. it's really sturdy and well built. there is very little plastic. the case is mostly all steel, except for a few plastic parts. the mesh is really awesome on it, looks great. it's pretty easy to clean. most people complain about the brackets for pci/pcie in the back. they are pretty cheap. but then again if you are putting in anykind of modern graphics card, it's gonna be heavy and you will need to screw it in anyways. instead of using the plastic brackets anyways. otherway your card will sag in the case. i know that the antec 900 has a lot of plastic in it. this way the main reason why i got the cm 690. i just can't handle plastic. and the otherbad thing that i can think of with the cm 690 case is theplacement of the powerbutton. instad of it being in the middle of the front of the case, it right on the edge. this makes it a little bit harder to reach if your computer is to the right of you. that's it. there are no other cons.