Nehalem SuperPi score: this time it's real!

uutorok

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Expreview shows the Intel Nehalem 2.4Ghz running superpi 1M for 17 seconds.
Bloomfield_0_1.jpg

Expreview also got Intel's latest roadmap. It shows that Nehalem will enter mainstream in Q4 this year with 2.66Ghz. The higher end will be 2.93 Ghz and 3.2 Ghz. The three Nehalem will have the same amount of L3: 8mb. We know from anandtech, the 2.66Ghz Nehalem is faster than QX9650, which is a good news for mainstream users.
bloomfield_1.png

G

I saw the latter but didn't see the top one...

my 3.2 ghz dual core finishes it in 16 seconds... so I wonder how much faster a nehalem can do it once OCed... but i was expecting it to be faster than that... idk why but...

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Intel needs a more complex processor chart.

ed: I was just thinking as I posted that, you know one thing Intel and Nvidia definitely have in common - they both have a rediculously large and redundant product lineup =D

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Nvidia is a fair company making good products. I don't understand why people would bash the Company. Just because they're always a step ahead of ATI doesn't make them bad.

Intel on the other hand, they use dirty tricks to flush out the competition, hence why I dislike them. I still use their CPU though for the simple fact its faster.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
And those who bought the original 8800GTS or GTX models got shafted. I mean no PureVideo while even the cheaper 8500GT had it? WTH?!

NVidia has no problem shafting its customers.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Randomizer, true but its kinda like saying don't expect your Merc S600 to have all the same 'good' features as the Merc S320 but do expect to pay more.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
The 8800's didn't need an update for those 2 years. Nothing challenged the cards except Crysis and that was it. The competition had nothing to even compete with. So, Why not work on a brand new GPU and leave the 8800's out for the time being.

Nvidia is playing it smart. I have an 8800 Ultra and even now I can play all the games on the market at high frames. 2+ years its been out, and it still plays all of todays games

Tells ya something.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Sacre true but whats not good about it is that they leave us out in the cold. Newer faster cards force down the price of older cards. After all not everybody can afford an ultra. Most people can bearly afford the GT.

Edit: Imagine if Intel just sat back and said well the Q6600 is fast enough and carried on charging $500 for 2 years. Alot of us would still be on Celerons then...

randomizer

Champion
I think Nvidia wanted to get in early with the performance king and worry about additional features later. It may annoy some people, but from a market opportunity perspective it was the right choice IMO.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
@jaydeejohn Yes but since then Intel has released the 45nm Core 2 Duos and Quads bring down the prices of the 65nm chips quite drastically and offering lower temps, better performance at lower clocks and better energy effiency.

Most importantly regards of the 45nm node Intel still brought their prices down.