E8400 Stock HSF again, am I there yet?

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I'm doing my first build and to start I'm using the infamous stock Intel HSF that came with the E8400. It's going on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I'm not intending to overclock, and I apologize if there's a better forum.

It's a matter of experience. I can't tell if I've got the last pin in far enough. On three of the pins, when viewed from below the MOBO, the black male pin (inner) is just about at the same depth as the white female (outer) part of the pin assembly. On the fourth pin, the end of the black pin is up about 1/16 of an inch from the end of the white pin. All of the pins feel quite secure.

I've used a lot of force (with the board out, and supported) and this seems to be as good as it gets.

Am I there yet?

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for the reassurance. I can try it soon. I have a Sigma Phantom case so I can start it up with both sides open - all the better to see smoke and fire.

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Seems good, the CPU held at 34 degrees C while in the BIOS. I'll stress test later when I get Linux loaded. Thanks for the help.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Thanks, those are excellent links. I'll make the bolt-through my first upgrade.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Make sure you get the Unobtainuim metal one, it's better.......

Get a better HS, most of them have awesome mounting systems with no evil pushpins.

The best forum for really solid info. Pros hang out here. Not a noob site but worthy to register. Just word your questions wisely and don't spout noobish.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

You'll do fine there, you got the percieved smartness etc etc.

They sponsored with AMD/Gigabyte a liquid helium benchmarking event. -230C was a temp and they set a new x86 processor speed record. And they had an open bar! I'm in the background somewhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/26/amds-phenom-ii-pushed-to-6-5ghz-3dmark-record-demolished/

I replaced all the plastic pushpins on my motherboard, including the ones for the northbridge and southbridge heatsinks. When I removed the plastic pushpins I discovered uneven pressure everywhere. You could easily see the problem in the imprints in the thermal pads.

nrlp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
my e8400 had issues with my p5q pro mobo. had to press so hard to get it set, was very worried the mobo was gonna snap. first time i thought it was set and upon bootup with no OC i was pushing 55C. shut that off pretty quick.

just noticed the other day my mobo has a considerable amount of warping due to that HS/F. hope that doesnt get worse with time. only had it about 2 months.