Scubbahood

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
When I took my computer apart due to overheating issues I noticed some light burn marks on the top of the processor. On the inside it seems that everything is fine. I am buying a new Gigabyte mobo tomorrow after many attempts to fix the disastrous ASUS P5K-E (stopped working after I put the heatsink on better) that keeps on giving the typical black screen.

Do burn marks always indicate a damaged processor?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Not always. Of course it's not a good sign, but it won't hurt to try it in your new board. Now if the son of a b!tch is bubbled up then it's not looking good. But, if it's just dark discolored marks then I say just try it and see. Either way, just see if it works in the board. Either it'll work or it won't. You shouldn't need to worry about damaging anything else. If the CPU is damaged you'll know when you try to use it.

mi1ez

Splendid

Erm...

I'd hazard that you didn't put it on better, or damaged something else in the process

The P5K-e is one of the most recommended boards you see on here and mine's been fine despite it's ludicrously hot Pentium D and poor case cooling.