The parts are arriving tommorow. How do I build it?

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Ok so Im not as stupid as my title implies. I have built a system before but that was 7 years ago and my friend did all the jumper setup and such so although I know where everything goes I really dont know about jumpers or the PSU.

So.. do I just follow the manuals that come with everything and/or use online sources to help me do it right?

Thank you

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
From what I have experienced, the newer mother boards don't really have much jumper setting to do. That is if you are doing a relatively "basic" build without adding usb headers and such that aren't already physically on the board. Other than that, its just a matter of plugging things in to their proper places (pwr button, case speaker, mic, front usb ports) and then putting all your parts onto the mobo. As always go in steps. I always like to put in the bare minimum (mobo, cpu, heatsink, vid card, hard drive, optical drive) and make sure the system posts and recognizes all the hard ware properly. Then install windows and add any other pieces (usb cards, sound cards, tv tuners, etc.) Have fun, and remember to wear an anti-static strap(or touch unpainted surface on the case) before touching any components!

royalcrown

Distinguished
I built my last one xp2800 in 2002, and now this one X2 780g board 2 weeks ago, it's actually easier than it was back then, hardware isn't as picky as back then...I just followed my motherboard manual. Also, look at the MB manual and your case (peice of paper) manual to make sure that the usb wires go in the same order, even if they are put in a plug already. Once in awhile they don't match, mine matched right up...oh and white is the "negative" side as far as leds go, I can never remember that because it was black when I learned regular electrical stuff.

It's easy :)

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hi

What I recommend to do is first decide where you are going to build it. Make sure you have room. I personally recommend ESD gloves over an anti-static wristband or just touching the case, but whichever method you end up using, you always want to verify being grounded.

Next, organize all the parts and have them close by. When you open them up, place them on their anti-static bag. I start by only opening the parts I immediately need.

I recommend looking through the manual and any other documentation before actually delving into the process. Become familiar with the motherboard and visually understand where all the connections are and where everything is before starting.

Once you start, take your time. It is much easier to build computers now. You don't generally need to worry about jumpers. Make sure all connections are tight and secure.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask someone. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially since you just invested a large amount of money into a purchase like this.

If there does end up being a problem, don't panic. Take your time and recheck everything.

Before turning it on, verify one last time that everything is plugged in and connected properly. Go through the manual again and recheck. Then turn on the power supply and hopefully everything will work and it will post.

Good luck.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Thank you Allanag. Im clearing the kitchen table now and preparing everything and I will read the manuals before I start.

What about after I put it together.. should I always update the bios or is that still a risky thing to do that may harm the bios?

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I would not recommend updating the bios unless it helps resolve an issue you're having or there is some other imperative reason.

Your motherboard manual will also have a section on bios settings. Read that before installing your OS. This is crucial, especially if you intend to use Raid(which I don't personally recommend in majority of cases) or to enable certain other settings. Before making any change in the Bios, be certain you understand the setting. Again, feell free to ask if you're not sure.

Once this is done, begin installing your OS. Once you've done that, the first thing you'll want to do is install your chipset drivers and drivers for your other devices.