8800GS Fan

dbman19

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Hey - I know that you cannot adjust the fan speed but I was wondering where it blows the air??
Does it just move the air or does it blow it in to the case or out of the case??

Thanks

dbman19

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Ok, thanks alot

I wish they made one with a dual slot cooler that blows it out the back instead of just warming the inside of my case

Thanks again

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm thinking about it myself. Because for like 10-20 bucks more than evga I can get the xfx alpha dog 8800gs which is their overclocked version of the card with call of duty 4 which is awesome. I am seriously hoping to do it next month maybe. With an Athlon x2 5200 and 2gb of ram, ought to make for a real nice budget gamer:)

pauldh

Illustrious
The evga SC would be better than the XFX alpha dog. Both may hit the same clocks, but out of the box, the evga is 650/1900 vs 680/1600. The stock evga at 550/1600 would also be able to hit the same clocks (luck of draw for exact clocks for all 3)

And the evga variable speed fan is a plus for anyone concerned about noise. With the XFX, it's a 2 pin fan, so no way to control voltage/RPM in software. You have to feed it less voltage yourself (like rigging it to a variable voltage zalman fanmate or fixed voltage reducer, or feed it 5v or 7v from a molex, etc. )

If you don't already have COD4 and don't mind noise or taking the steps to control it yourself, then grab the XFX. The XFX for $99 shipped free with COD4 is a better bargain IMO than the alpha dog, but it does have slower mem for the $20 savings.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yes, exactly. You can still vary the fan speed on the XFX, but at an extra time/expense. (instead of just through software). It involvs splicing the fan wire, or to save warranty, making a harness to adapt that little fan header to a larger fan connector. I made a harness for mine so I could always plug it back in for RMA purposes. Then I hooked it to a Zalman fanmate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217

Again, Note though, these do not directly connect to each other. It needs to be spliced, trimmed/bent, or you need to make an adapter to connect the fanmate to the XFX fan. It's not hard to do, but it's not a direct simple connection either.

tinkleondabeach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
XFX offers a free fan adapter cable to greatly reduce the sound from the fan on the 8800gs model.

Info here: http://ogry.net/2008/08/09/free-adaptor-for-xfx-geforce-8800gs-owners/