Dial-up to the web w/phone

Last response: in Network Providers
January 27, 2005 11:32:55 PM

I have two phones with Cingular and Nokia 6800 and Motorola V551. I'd
like to use the phone(s) to connect my laptop to the web by dialing a
private network or isp.

I know I can supscribe to MediaNEt and do it at a much faster rate with
GPRS, but for the amount of use I will be doing it its not worth paying
the $$$ for unlimited and not using it enough or paying $ and getting
hit with overage charges.

The question is can I do it and if so how?

The Nokia 6800 connects to the PC via IR and is recognized as a modem,
but when I attempt to dial it automatically disconects. I haven't
purchased the cable or bluetooth USB to use with the Motorola V551 as I
don't want to spend the money until I know it will work.

All insights/advice/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Greg.

--
gsd656

More about : dial web phone

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:44:41 PM

In <gsd656.1jjb3m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:32:55 GMT, gsd656
<gsd656.1jjb3m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

>I have two phones with Cingular and Nokia 6800 and Motorola V551. I'd
>like to use the phone(s) to connect my laptop to the web by dialing a
>private network or isp.
>
>I know I can supscribe to MediaNEt and do it at a much faster rate with
>GPRS, but for the amount of use I will be doing it its not worth paying
>the $$$ for unlimited and not using it enough or paying $ and getting
>hit with overage charges.
>
>The question is can I do it and if so how?
>
>The Nokia 6800 connects to the PC via IR and is recognized as a modem,
>but when I attempt to dial it automatically disconects. I haven't
>purchased the cable or bluetooth USB to use with the Motorola V551 as I
>don't want to spend the money until I know it will work.
>
>All insights/advice/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Greg.

If you get a minimal data plan, you should be able to get "CSD" provisioned on
your account, and use your phone as a slow dial-up modem using plan minutes
rather than being charged for data.

February 1, 2005 1:44:42 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:44:41 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <gsd656.1jjb3m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:32:55 GMT, gsd656
><gsd656.1jjb3m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:
>
>>I have two phones with Cingular and Nokia 6800 and Motorola V551. I'd
>>like to use the phone(s) to connect my laptop to the web by dialing a
>>private network or isp.
>>
>>I know I can supscribe to MediaNEt and do it at a much faster rate with
>>GPRS, but for the amount of use I will be doing it its not worth paying
>>the $$$ for unlimited and not using it enough or paying $ and getting
>>hit with overage charges.
>>
>>The question is can I do it and if so how?
>>
>>The Nokia 6800 connects to the PC via IR and is recognized as a modem,
>>but when I attempt to dial it automatically disconects. I haven't
>>purchased the cable or bluetooth USB to use with the Motorola V551 as I
>>don't want to spend the money until I know it will work.
>>
>>All insights/advice/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Greg.
>
>If you get a minimal data plan, you should be able to get "CSD" provisioned on
>your account, and use your phone as a slow dial-up modem using plan minutes
>rather than being charged for data.

I called Cingular direct (not my reseller) and they signed me up for
CSD for $3.99/month. No other data plan at all. Then remember to add a
+ before the phone number of your ISP to turn on data.

John
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:36:51 PM

In <bd9vv0pt697a9g8eu56nnmmj0gbsovslp5@4ax.com> on Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:53:10
-0600, Spectrum <none@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:44:41 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>In <gsd656.1jjb3m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:32:55 GMT, gsd656
>><gsd656.1jjb3m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have two phones with Cingular and Nokia 6800 and Motorola V551. I'd
>>>like to use the phone(s) to connect my laptop to the web by dialing a
>>>private network or isp.
>>>
>>>I know I can supscribe to MediaNEt and do it at a much faster rate with
>>>GPRS, but for the amount of use I will be doing it its not worth paying
>>>the $$$ for unlimited and not using it enough or paying $ and getting
>>>hit with overage charges.
>>>
>>>The question is can I do it and if so how?
>>>
>>>The Nokia 6800 connects to the PC via IR and is recognized as a modem,
>>>but when I attempt to dial it automatically disconects. I haven't
>>>purchased the cable or bluetooth USB to use with the Motorola V551 as I
>>>don't want to spend the money until I know it will work.
>>>
>>>All insights/advice/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Greg.
>>
>>If you get a minimal data plan, you should be able to get "CSD" provisioned on
>>your account, and use your phone as a slow dial-up modem using plan minutes
>>rather than being charged for data.
>
>I called Cingular direct (not my reseller) and they signed me up for
>CSD for $3.99/month. No other data plan at all.

That's "Wireless Internet" which is a "data plan," or data package if you
prefer. It's actually $1/mo cheaper to get "Wireless Internet Express 0.5 MB"
and have CSD provisioned. <http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase&gt;
Both Data Acceleration and non-Data Acceleration are available on CSD.

>Then remember to add a
>+ before the phone number of your ISP to turn on data.

Won't hurt, but not necessary when using a notebook computer.

February 9, 2005 9:31:21 PM

Hi John

Looks like I found what I was looking for. Cingular with Media Net is
the way to go. Only thing I was told by the Cingular rep that's
different than what I've read here is that as a new customer I can
elect to add Media Net for *free* by electing the "pay per use" option
which activates it and then I just call in and have them enable CSD. I
hope he's correct.

--
Snoozer
Snoozer's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...