High Memory Usage while Idle

Shabutie13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hello,
Hello, I am new to these forums but I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently reformatted my computer for this issue but it did not seem to help. Right after I turn my computer on, and my few programs boot up, my computer sits at 1.35 Gb of ram usage. After playing even a single game it jumps to about 1.60 Idle. The only programs I have turned on are Steam, EVGA Precision and nvidia control panel,etc.

Here is a list of the processes I have running, where are they coming from and is something wrong where it's taking up this much memory?

http://imageshack.us/f/708/processesf.jpg/

I was also dealing with a problem of my CPU using 25% for system interrupts after waking up from sleep, I noticed a lot of errors/warnings in the event log, I'm wondering if these could have something to do with it.

http://imageshack.us/f/8/eventsjy.jpg/

Only the ones for AUG 29th are since I turned on my PC today (and didn't let it go to sleep)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That's not a terribly unusual amount of memory for an idling Windows system - it's in the ballpark of what my system shows when idle and I have 12GB of RAM.

Windows will avoid loading stuff into RAM if memory is scarce. On my old laptop with 1GB of RAM Windows only uses up about 500MB or so when idle.

I wouldn't worry about that amount, I'd only worry if your system was having performance issues when you're actually running programs. The reality is that you paid for the RAM in your system and you're getting more for your money if Windows uses it when it's not required by other programs in the system.

Shabutie13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Well, thank you very much for the quick reply. I was just concerned because in my old system, which is very similar (GTX 580, i7 950 with 6GB of ram Windows only used about 1.2-1.3 at idle.

Now with my GTx 580, i5 2500+ and 8GB of ram, it's 1.6.

But thank you for letting me know I'm okay :)