Hard Disks Problem... Need help asap....

mightyshadow007

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I have 3 hard disks of seagate in my system. One of them is a 750 GB SATA, another one is 1TB SATA and i bought another 1.5TB SATA. Now the 1.5 TB hard disk is creating errors when im trying to partition it and format it. Even though it's showing 1.369 TB im able to make only one 100GB partition and the rest is showing errors at various places. The errors are as follows : failed to read from the sector-1,39,39,63,583 of the hard disk 3. and so on and so forth. I even gave my hard disk for replacement. it came back yesterday. But it is still showing these errors. What am i supposed to do? please help. It's very urgent.

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
RMA-return merchandise authorization or something like that. Return it to the vendor since it's defective.

What OS are you using to partition? Just double checking to make sure you're not using a really old copy of XP and running into that 137gb limit.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since you have Seagate drives, go to their website and download two types of software tools.

To start, go here:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

and click on SeaTools. It is a set of diagnostic utilities to check your hard drive for problems. Usually Seagate will ask you to download this and run tests on the drive BEFORE returning it as defective, so you might need them anyway. Read the instructions, download and install the utilities, and run tests on your 1.5 TB drive. They will tell you whether you have problems or not. And I agree with Sturm - try another SATA cable in case that is the trouble.

Once you have a working drive to set up, Seagate's DiskWizard is a great set of tools you can download and install. It makes it easy to set up a new drive the way you want. Go back to the Downloads page and click on DiskWizard just above where you found SeaTools. On the next page click on "Learn more about DiskWizard" low on the page to download the Seagate DiskWizard User's Guide as a .pdf file. Then use the download link to get this software for free.

PimpDaddyJoe

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

Either RMA, buy another drive or you can buy Spinrite for $89.00 that will set aside the bad sectors.

mightyshadow007

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

im using a Vista x64 Ultimate Service Pack 2