OCZ2P800R22GK correct voltages & timings ?

fixxxer2008

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
okay i have OCZ PLATINUM REV2 / 2GB. DDR2-800 PC2-6400 in my pc. i have had this ram since september 2007 and had no issues. i will be installing another 2 gigs of this ram in the next few weeks. i just noticed on the manufacturer website that the ram is suppose to run at between 1.9 - 2.1v with the timing set at 4-4-4-15 for optimum performance. i looked in my bios and it said it was running at 1.925v and a timing of 5-5-5-15. i did some research and i guess that's a default for most motherboards bios. by the way i have never had a problem with my system even running at 5-5-5-15. so anyways i went ahead and changed the settings in my bios to the ocz recommended settings and i noticed a great performance boost.

after doing some more research online i found different forums and different people setting this exact same ram to different timings and such. mind you my pc is not overclocked in any way and i plan on keeping it like this. i just want to make sure running the ram at a 2.1v will be ok and not fry the ram at all. i even asked on the official ocz forums and they said i should play with the voltages to get my system as stable as i can. i don't like playing with voltages and such if i don't have to. but on the other hand i want the most out of this memory.

does anybody have any experience with these types of things ? i need to know if i should go back to the default settings or keep the changes i made. i have had no blue screens or freezing either way. i basically need to know if the 2.1v is safe and if the 4-4-4-15 timing is really correct for this memory or not ?

here are my pc specs:

intel core2duo 6550.
OCZ PLATINUM REV2 / 2GB. DDR2-800 PC2-6400.... soon to 4gb.
nvidia geforce 8800GT 512MB. / thermaltake dual orb vga cooler.
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard.
western digital 250gb & 80gb. 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives.
acer 19" x192w widescreen lcd.
raidmax scorpio atx case.
cooler master extreme 500w psu.
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1.

painsfaith

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Hmm, your decision depends on whether you want to take a risk.

If your a risk taker:
Stick all the RAM in the computer, check if it boots, and set the CAS latency to 4-4-4-15

If your not a risk taker:
Stick in all the RAM, set the latency to 5-5-5-15 and hope for the best

Your motherboard SHOULD have fail-safes against a memory "blowout", (you might want to do a bit of research on that), however, if you lower the latency, in the worst case, theres a small chance that it'll override the fail-safes, and nothing will stop the memory "blowout" if the CAS is too low. That's the worst case position. Your computer will start talking to you before that...

Either way, check if the RAM is in dual, (or quad?) channel mode, it should speed you up alot :)

Good luck!