My burned dvd's are skipping!

xkate92x

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hey ive recently found out that my computer has a dvd writer so ive tried burning a few films. I bought superstores own brand at first and found that it skipped the first 30 or 40 minutes of the film! I read that this could be the quality of the dvd's so i brought sony dvd-r 1-16x compatible 4.7gb. I tried burning the same film and it skipped again but further into the film. I use express burn and set the writing speed at 2x as i heard this would increase quality. I dont know what else i can try! please help!!!

Oh.... Also the dvd's i burn will only work on my personal dvd player and a friends ps3 and not even on my boyfriends xbox or his dvd player! Does anyone know how i can solve this?

What kind of DVD writer? What software are you using? Are you trying to copy commercial DVD's with movies on them? Does regular unprotected DVD content burn OK or do you also have problems with that?

Commercial movie DVD's use a system called CSS (Content Scrambling System - or something like that) to prevent copying DVD's. If you were trying to copy commercial disks, I'm surprised that the copies worked at all.

xkate92x

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

Thanx for the help jsc. No theyre not commercial theyre torrent avi files. Hmm im not sure what writer it is. It came with my computer (packard bell). Im using a programme called express burn by nch. The first dvd i burned worked fine, i did the second and third with the exact settings and discs and they jumped.

Hmm... It would say the DVD burner is bad, but first try another program ImgBurn to burn another test disc.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Actually, before you even do what I mentioned, just look at the data side of the discs your burnt to make sure there are no finger prints or smudges.

xkate92x

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

I've checked the discs which are fine... just brought yesterday! Ive downloaded imgburn will try it out now. Thanks for all your help :)

xkate92x

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hey i converted my file from avi to mpeg2 but when i try and add it to img burn it says "invalid or unsopported image file format'. Should i be converting it to something else? If so what?