Sign in with
Your question

help choosing a new htpc gaming / blue ray case

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2008 5:01:42 PM

i am putting together a new gaming/blue ray system as soon as i can purchase a gtx 280. hopefully less than a week!

i have had my parts picked out on newegg for quite some time, but in recent weeks, the zalman hd 160 disappeared from their site and just today i see the zalman hd 160 plus that i replaced it with has also now disappeared.

i'm looking for an atx htpc case that can game and play blue ray. i need something that doesn't just do micro atx as i want to run a quad core yorkfield (9450 i think) with a cpu fan (probably zalman) and a gtx 280, four gigs of ddr3 ram (probably 12800) 500 gb hard drive etc.

i'm looking to spend about $300 and would like a small vfd. i don't need a $600 model with the big size, but really like the idea of having a small display just to class the thing up a bit. i originally wanted a silver case to go with the 27" dell monitor i wanted, but since deciding it would be a tv to play blue ray and hd tv i've decided to splurge and go up to the gateway hd3000 so black would be fine too.

i need some help figuring out what case to get quickly as i'm hoping i'm buying the parts from newegg (with my gtx 280) on the 17th.

thanks.
June 11, 2008 9:39:09 PM

i haven't purchased from any of these sites, but i think i really would like the zalman hd 160 plus. anyone have direct experience with ordering from any of these sites?

thanks.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2008 9:58:50 PM

ZipZoomFly is every bit as good as newegg (or better price-wise) from my experience. Very trusted. They used to offer free shipping on pretty much everything, but not anymore :( 

I've ordered from both XPCGear and Xoxide once each with no problems.

PCAlchemy is the leader in HTPC parts but their selection of all other PC parts is very limited.

I got my current HTPC case from quietpcusa. The experience was OK... but when I couldn't get my display to work on the case and I notified them they came back with "not our problem, RMA to the manufacturer". I eventually figured out what was wrong with the display and therefore didn't need to RMA afterall, but that made for a sour experience with that vendor. They do have some hard to find 'quiet' PC parts if that's what you're looking for.
June 12, 2008 2:27:11 PM

looked at pcalchemy just for other options. there were a lot.

i love the looks of the OrigenAE S16V HTPC Case but i've never heard of origenae and my first impression is that while it looks better than most cases i've seen, it doesn't do much of anything else better than most of the cases i've seen.
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2008 6:53:23 PM

Newegg carries several athenatech series media center cases that take a full size atx board and 2 models come with a 450w power supply for $59.99 plus shipping.
!