Pc randomly turns off

G

Ok the problem im having is that when im using my pc on game generally it will randomly turn off but this is normally after atleast 2 hours of use playing World of Warcraft.

The issue itself only started happening after i installed a second 8800GTX to my system, but it would happen every 10 mins or so when i first did this, then after alot of troubleshooting i found out that my second 8800GTX was an XT Edition and had a 600mhz corespeed instead of the standard 575 which should auto downclock to the lower card anyway so im told, but it didnt.

I then downloaded RivaTuner and downclocked it to match the first chip which appeared to solve the problem but now the same issue happens but after 2 hours or so.

The only 2 things i can think of is overheating or PSU.

Both cards will not pass 80C when underload and have 2x 120mm fans blowing onto them. Also my PSU is a 900W Tagan SLI capable which should be fine.

Im all out of ideas and really hope you guys can shead some light.

My Setup:

Vista 64bit Ultimate
Asus Striker Extreme 680i Motherboard
900W SLI ready PSU
8GB Crusial Balastix Red Tracer PC6400 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Intel E8500 @ Stock - Zalman 9700 cooler
2x WD 74GB Raptors in RAID 0
XFX 8800 GTX
XFX 8800 GTX XT Edition (Software Downclocked)

The PSU in more detail:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-011-TG

Speeds of each GFX card from GPU-Z

Core 576mhz on both chips
Memory 900mhz on both chips
Shader 1296mhz on both chips

Forceware 174.74 ( not the latest but is the newest which is compatible with Riviatuner)

If you need anymore info im happy to provide it.

thanks in advance.

On a side note i do however have 4x 120mm fans 1x250mm fan and a Zalman fan controler + 1x Blue cold cathode light along with 2 WD raptors and 1x 250GB maxtor + CD drive connected to the PSU, its the only way i think i could justifiy it being overloaded and it causing the random shut downs.

Max-i-mus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
not for nothing, but check to make sure all your cards, cpu, etc are seated properly..

You could have by accident, knocked something out of socket, and thus cause the instablity issue..
Another thing.. make sure your voltage is set correctly on your memory...

last thing to try would be to possibly roll back to an earlier version of the nvidia forceware driver...

Seeing as you didn't have this problem before the 2nd video install, I'm thinking you have something loose...

eckosof

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
you should try to narrow down the problem more. Try using each card by itself. swapping PSU if available. ect. maybe overclocking the lower 8800 card to match the higher one.

G

Update:

Ok i checked and made sure it was all seated correctly and manualy set the voltage on my memory aswell as trying multiple drivers.

None of this seemed to work and it would still shut down randomly, but when using riviatuner to downclock the second card it will last about 3-4 hours with out problem but when it is not downclocked it will last about 10-30mins.....

I have tired using a single card and i dont have any problems.

The only thing i can think of is that it is the 8800 itself or my PSU even though my PSU is nvida certifed for 8800GTX SLI ( i do have alot of other crap pluged in) but still wont go over 600W usage :/

I have ordered a new PSU anyway with disconnectable cables so i really hope that solves it elses its new 8800GTX retail :/

Any further input on this would be much help.

Thanks

Run memtest, just for kicks.

Did you test both GPU's working by themselves, or just one?

Check around on your motherboard - does it have a history of malfunctions with SLI?

Windows doesn't bluescreen or give you any "your system has recovered from a series error" messages, does it?

I doubt heat or power is the issue.

chia

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Having a very similar issue to you. It also happens mainly after playing WoW for a few hours, though sometimes I can go pretty much all day and not see any problem.

I'm running with an Athlon 6400 x2, 4 gigs of RAM, a Rosewill 600W PSU, and a single 8800 GT. When it occurs, there is absolutely no warning- its as if someone tripped over the power cord.

Ran Speedfan; temps are slightly high (45-50) but definitely not high enough that it should trigger the failsafes. AVG didn't turn up any viruses or spyware. I was thinking it might be the PSU or the outlet... but its unlikely. I was using an older setup with a 550W Antec with no probs on this same outlet, and 600W should be overkill for this machine.

It's also only been happening recently. I've had this machine running for a few months, and it has happened twice- both this week. Starting to get a bit antsy over it.