Sign in with
Your question

Low budget gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2008 10:52:20 AM

Well, my nephew asked me to build his computer for him and I was more than obliged to comply, his mom set his budget at ~$700 so this is what I came up with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/Temporary...

Note: I have a monitor/keyboard/mouse/Optical drives kicking around to use for this project so those are a non-issue.

Thanks in advance!

More about : low budget gaming rig

May 8, 2008 11:09:34 AM

Below are your temporary wish list items. Items in this list will not be viewable on another computer and will be deleted within 30 days unless you add them to a saved wish list. If your browser cookies are cleared, your temporary list will be lost too. Please note that adding an item to a saved or temporary wish list does not guarantee availability or price.

lol hihihihih i
May 8, 2008 11:24:52 AM
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2008 11:36:52 AM

There's a little better, or a little worse, for most of your choices. That makes it too much a matter of preference to quibble a lot. I've personally used that mobo, I've bought enough Mushkin RAM to consider it a safe bet, and I like where the 9600GT sits on the GPU charts and in Cleeve's recommendations.
The one exception is the PSU. Although jonnyguru has tested a couple of Rosewill PSUs and specifically approved at least one of them, Rosewill as a brand is still on tier-5 ("Do not buy") of the list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon. YMMV, but personally I would not use a Rosewill PSU in one of my builds unless it was the specific one jonnyguru (or other respected lab) thoroughly tested. That particular one also seems to have a shortage of SATA connectors. I think you can do better; choose one from Tier-3 or better on that list.
May 8, 2008 11:37:00 AM

don't get the EP mobo, it has tons of issues. just get the gigabyte p35ds3l
psu looks bad, get the corsair 500w because if it fries you are screwed. If you want to offset the price of the psu switch the processor to an e7200.
May 8, 2008 12:09:26 PM

yeah I'd stay away from the rosewill...it's one of those components where it can cause all kinds of crazy problems if not working properly.

Here's an alternative thats in the same price range (MIR of course)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

everything else seems good to go.
May 8, 2008 12:09:38 PM
May 8, 2008 12:11:22 PM

Don't skimp on the power supply. If it goes bad it can take with it your entire investment. The PSU is the heart of the system.
May 8, 2008 12:22:10 PM

Swap the CPU to a e7200, which will save you $75.

Use that to upgrade the video card to an 8800 GTS 512MB.

Right now, you are overweight the CPU and underweight the GPU. You need to reverse that to get the best performance for your dollar.

If you wanted, you could do a mild overclock to a 333MHz FSB to hit just above 3GHz which would not tax the e7200 chip (considering people are hitting close to 4GHz).
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2008 12:37:46 PM

narwhale's suggestion about the E7200 Wolfdale was a good one.
What size monitor will you be using? That makes a big difference in which video card will best fit into your budget. For example;
19" 1280x1024 or 1440x900WS = 9600GT
20" 1620x1200 or 16801050WS = 8800GTS G92
Alternative PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430 $35 after $25 rebate (I would have suggested the 380W model but they're the same price and 430 has the rebate)
Do you have the OS already?

May 8, 2008 12:37:57 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yeah, the PS was definitely my main concern, how about the one I just linked?

The other concern was the MB, I feel the processor/vga will last him quite a while, and the rest can be updated pretty cheaply with time, especially with RAM prices still falling...
May 8, 2008 12:39:35 PM

Oh, and yes, I have a spare copy of XP Pro for him to use... as for the monitor... he's gonna be stuck with a 17" CRT running 1280x1024 until he buys his own :) 

Edit: And as for the processor, I was kind of sold on the new 45nm spacing, this way I can OC it for him and it should last a good long time. Or am I just being stupid?
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2008 12:47:09 PM

The E7200, E8200, E8400 are all 45nm members of the Wolfdale family.

What are your overclocking goals? We may need to talk about an aftermarket heat sink & fan.
May 8, 2008 12:54:20 PM

It's more of a touch and go thing. Basically I'll go higher as is needed, but since anything over 3ghz~ or so is unnoticable for gaming as it stands, I shouldn't really need to mess with it at all right away.
May 8, 2008 12:58:22 PM

Alright, revised it with the new PSU, the E7200, and the ECS 8800 GTS G92.

Still sitting just under 700 at 690.93! Awesome
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2008 1:05:46 PM

I think thats a pretty good price/performance match.
An E7200 and the stock Intel HSF should reach 3Ghz without getting too warm or too loud.
E7200 review

May 8, 2008 1:09:23 PM

Onus said:
There's a little better, or a little worse, for most of your choices. That makes it too much a matter of preference to quibble a lot. I've personally used that mobo, I've bought enough Mushkin RAM to consider it a safe bet, and I like where the 9600GT sits on the GPU charts and in Cleeve's recommendations.
The one exception is the PSU. Although jonnyguru has tested a couple of Rosewill PSUs and specifically approved at least one of them, Rosewill as a brand is still on tier-5 ("Do not buy") of the list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon. YMMV, but personally I would not use a Rosewill PSU in one of my builds unless it was the specific one jonnyguru (or other respected lab) thoroughly tested. That particular one also seems to have a shortage of SATA connectors. I think you can do better; choose one from Tier-3 or better on that list.

And to just to add a bit about RoseWill.
Rosewill does not build any PSUs.
They OEM everything and don't have a particular supplier.
The result is that you never really know what you are going to get.
I agree it's not a safe bet.
Having once purchased a couple decent PSUs to resell does not make them a good line.

Try "Froogling" the Anctec Sonata III.
Its a very nice Case/PSU combo that can often be found cheap.

ZipZoomFly has it for $90, but its Out Of Stock.

You can get it for $95 with Google Checkout and Free Shippnig at Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-sonata-iii-super-mini-tow...

!