Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Card problem - please help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2008 5:31:24 PM

Hey there, long time forum lurker here, having some problems:

Okay here's the story.

I bought a new Geforce 8800 GT card to replace my old ATI Radeon X1950Pro card a few days ago,

Graphics card arrived so i put it in - very happy.

Started a 3dmark test to ensure it was okay. things looking good 50% or so performance increase - very very happy.

towards end of test it began to falter. then a smoke smell came out of my computer's power supply. then my computer turned off and wont turn on.

so i figured my power supply was broken, however when i put my old one back in, my computer works fine.

here's my computer spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @2.4Ghz (not overclocked but may want to in the future)
MSI P5ND2 SE Motherboard
2GB Ram
Bog standard DVD writer
500gb HDD
Point of View 8800GT 512mb (hopefully still in working order)
Creative Xtreme Music soundcard

The PSU came with the case and it says on the side "FSP GROUP INC MODEL ATX-450PNF"
AC Input 220-240V
DC Output 450W"

So I now have the problem of what to do...

a. the graphics card was faulty when it arrived. therefore I should just get a replacement and all sorted

b. my power supply broke it as it wasn't powerful enough. in which case I shouldnt get a replacement as itw ould just happen again (or I should replace power supply as well)

I will appreciate any help you guys can offer. As this whole upgrade is in prepartion for a new 22inch samsung monitor and copies of Mass Effect and Crysis I am getting for my birthday in a couple of weeks as a reward for doing my exams (which this problem is now effecting!).

Thanks a lot in advance everybody

More about : graphics card problem

May 22, 2008 7:25:08 PM

anybody able to help?
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2008 7:41:26 PM

Is it working now? Your card?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2008 7:42:12 PM

Never use the psu that comes with the case, unless you know what youre getting with it. Usually theyll just throw in a cheap clunker, and guess what? Youve already seen what can happen
May 22, 2008 7:54:00 PM

no card - computer powers up
old card - computer powers up
new card - computer doesnt power up.

the psu came with the computer which was bought from a bespoke computer company. its been fine for nearly a year. but within 10 minutes of this new graphics card this happened
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2008 8:19:11 PM

Your psu shows 18 amps per rail, which is ok, but barely. Looks like your card fried. If you plan on ocing in the future youll need a better psu
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2008 8:04:07 AM

This looks good. "Triple 12V Rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum! Advanced circuitry design that automatically enables power sharing between the triple +12V rails in an event of overload on any single +12V rail. "
Youll have 40 amps on your 12 volt rails, those supply the graphics and cpu with power. Should be enough
!