External USB hard drive problem

ARTYCHOKEUK

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Anyone got a solution to this please:

Hitachi Neso 2TB USB hard drive eventually can be seen as present (may take hour or more), shows as removeable media in Windows Explorer and often crashes that !

Thanks

What info shows in Disk Management (eventually) ? Has the drive been checked for errors ?

bmw635i

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
its a fake device. No manufacturer has a HDD like this. There is a CL4 usb memo (cca. 8-16 GB) inside. Or do you HEAR a HDD running inside?

ARTYCHOKEUK

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

It is indeed a fake. A gorgeous, empty case rigged with hacked pendrive and glued in steel bolts for weight. I have reported it to police etc but still appear to have lost my money.

It was a cunning scam. Who would send a drive (with data) back after getting not one reply to correspondence or calls? I then waited a year before opening the (warranty protected) case. Somehow, by then, I knew what I was likely to find. Sickening enough.... only to be scammed again with micro SD cards from (presumably) another fraudster. Similar hacking. 64Gb overprint on 4Gb cards refusing to accommodate more than 4Gb despite supposed properties of 64Gb..

FAKE BRITAIN

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Hi ARTYCHOKEUK

I'm a producer looking at FAKE USB FLASH DRIVES for a possible feature for FAKE BRITAIN - BBC1.

Could you message me a\bout where you bought the drive from and whether or not you lost any data?

Thanks.

FAKE BRITAIN

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Hi ARTYCHOKEUK

I'm a producer looking at FAKE USB FLASH DRIVES for a possible feature for FAKE BRITAIN - BBC1.

Could you message me a\bout where you bought the drive from and whether or not you lost any data?

Thanks.

ARTYCHOKEUK

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

ARTYCHOKEUK

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Thankfully, I was too cautious to lose data. I do wonder how many people caught up in this would have returned the duff drives together with their precious, personal data though. Maybe, that wasn't what the fraudster was after but either way, it makes you wonder where they would stop.

The hard drive was bought from Micros SD Cards Ltd. I need to do some digging for other details. By all means give me other contact details as I would prefer a more direct approach.

RitaW0602

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I too was a victim to this fake HD scam. I purchased my Hitachi NESO 2TB external drive through DHGate. I originally paid $70 for the drive that was supposed to arrive 10-24 days later. I cancelled payment after 2 months and the drive not arriving. It later arrived and I kept it in its packaging in case it needed to be sent back. After another couple months I decided to plug it in and see how it worked. My computer did see the drive but would not let me do ANYTHING to it. I couldn't write to it, read from it or even format it for use. After doing a little googling on the device I eventually opened the case and indeed found the same fake setup with the crappy pen drive and large bolts glued inside for weight. I am soooo glad that I cancelled payment when it didn't arrive on time because I was just sick to my stomach once I cracked open the case and saw fake setup. It just makes me sick that people are so disgustingly dishonest.

Thankfully, I was too cautious to lose data. I do wonder how many people caught up in this would have returned the duff drives together with their precious, personal data though. Maybe, that wasn't what the fraudster was after but either way, it makes you wonder where they would stop.

The hard drive was bought from Micros SD Cards Ltd. I need to do some digging for other details. By all means give me other contact details as I would prefer a more direct approach.[/quotemsg]

ARTYCHOKEUK

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Sorry to hear this. It is already being researched & televised by BBC. Shame police haven't bothered yet despite report. It is sick.

TRENDING THREADS